Discuss PC-Case conducts energy in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

D

Deleted member 110184

Hello there!

First of all, i am not an electrician and i am absolutely new to this. I have a Problem with my PC and am seeking for advice on how to handle it. I hope this is the right place to post this Thread, if not please let me now.

I just built a brand new Computer with all new components but i have the problem that my PC-Case conducts energy. This means as soon as i touch anything that is made of metal from the case i can feel the energy on my finger. It really is a constant shock and not just a short shock you would have with static electricity. First thing i did was to buy an outlet tester. I checked all the outlets for errors but all of them are all right.

PC-Case conducts energy {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

I do have an UPS between the Outlet and my PC. So what i want to test now is if i plug out the energy from the Outlet and i run my PC only over my UPS, if i still get that shock. The Problem is, i really dont know how to measure the Voltage of the PC Case correctly. I do not know where i have to put the Voltage and the Ground Pin from the Multimeter to measure the Voltage of the case. Can anybody help me out with this??

Thanks!

1st thing is to measure from the case to a known earth. try on both ac and dc ranges. test again with the UPS out of circuit.

Either the case of your computer is not effectively earthed, most likely or your socket is at fault but your tester indicates it is not.

@westward10 Thanks for your reply. Many people in other forums said the same, this is why i bought this tester in the first place. This is why i want to measure the Voltage when my PC is connected only to the UPS, so i can rule the outlet out as an error source.

Does this happen when the computer is plugged direct to the socket without the ups.

@static zap I will absolutely try that, but before i need to know how to measure the Voltage on the PC-Case :D That is my original Problem.

Even the USB-Ports give up electricity and when i plug something into the USB-Port the connected device also gives me a shock.

99% certain your computer is not effectively connected to the earth of the 13A plug. It is difficult to advise a way forward as you do not have suitable test equipment and we cannot advise that you keep touching it to see if it has disappeared.

You can use a multimeter but it may not give an effective result. Turn off the mains power to the socket and set your meter to low ohms then test between the computer casing and the socket earth with the computer plugged in and it should show continuity, if not then it is not earthed. Ensure power to the socket is off when you do this!!!

You will notice that socket tester in the picture does not detect neutral /earth crossed over.
Use meter to check continuity of case to earth tag on schuko plug not plugged in.
But, if neutral earth crossed, not going to learn anything new from this test. Recommend get local elektriker to check sockets. Sorry

Last edited:
Use a proper power lead, if you are in Germany does the socket you are plugging in to have an earth pin if not try plugging it in elsewhere with an earth and make sure the power lead has an earth as well.

Check the mounting of your motherboard, computer cases are earthed via the little mounting columns you screwed into the computer case before you mount the motherboard on top of these, makes sure that every mounting hole on your motherboard has one of these underneath and a screw is firmly tightened in every hole. If any of these columns are missing or the motherboard is not screwed down to them, it could cause your problem. Luckily you’re only working with 12v dc after the psu. Also check all the solder joints on the base of the motherboard to see if any are too long, especially on the capacitors legs etc, it’s not unknown for one of these to be just too long and just touch the case, therefore resulting in the occasional shock.

Definitely test the earth continuity (low Ohms range, power off!). Test it right from the earth pin on the mains plug to the case of the PC. Also test the voltage between a known earth (screw of the mains socket on the wall maybe) and the PC case whilst it is powered up. Try on both the AC and DC settings on your multimeter.

Let us know what results you get from these tests.

The source of the voltage you can 'feel' is likely to be normal earth leakage that occurs inside the power supply unit, mainly due to the radio interference suppression components. These leak a small constant current that would normally pass down the ground lead back to the supply. If the ground lead is broken, the entire case of the computer loses its reference to earth potential and the leakage raises it to some arbitrary voltage between earth and 230V. The actual voltage is immaterial and although you can measure it, it is easier and safer at first to use the low resistance (e.g. 200 ohm) range on a multimeter to localise the break in the ground path from plug to power supply.

The problem will not be anything to do with the motherboard, all voltages there are too low to cause a noticeable shock under normal conditions and all are referenced to the case anyway; the case can't become live with respect to itself.

Repeat.
The Suckit n See type Tester shown in does not verify neutral earth reversal.
OP describes himself as "new to this".
He also gives a good description of an AC touch voltage appearing on the case of his equipment.
He has asked how to measure what the touch voltage is.
He is new to this.
PLEASE DON'T advice him to carry out live testing with a multimeter

Reply to PC-Case conducts energy in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock