Discuss Phone Line not working but broadband active in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I am looking for a bit of help. Don't normally touch Phone lines but been carrying out a large renovation and customer wanted a Phone socket face plate changed. Had a look and it was only 4 wire connected so didn't think it would cause much harm. House has had everything disconnected in phones and Broadband for 3 months now. I connected the new Trendi Faceplate and have the Broad band working but no phone line. any ideas why this could be. Have checked my connections and they all seam fine. Why would the broadband work and not the Phone Line?

Thanks in Advance

start by dissing all extensions then try phone in master socket on it's own. if it then works, you have a probable short on the extension wiring.

had it before. and you only need 2 and 5 connecting. don't connect termnal 3.

mine was exactly the same. dissed all extensions and it came back to life on master socket only.

On your master socket (NTE 5), Remove the bottom half of the face plate & plug your phone into the system socket. If you have dial tone & the phone dials out then the problem is in the internal wiring to the extensions, if not then the incomer is faulty.
Have you checked the wiring to T2 & T5, Should be Blue / White to T2 & White / Blue to T5.
Is it only the one socket that loses phone connection or do they all ?

Thanks guys, Will have a look tomorrow when i am back in. It has all happened from a face plate change to a trendi phone socket which isnt marked like a normal BT socket so might just revert to original and leave it there as Trendi Technical help was useless and couldn't care less.

When contractors do maintenance at the exchange swapping circuits on the frame and they pull the wrong wire out they leave it until its logged as a fault so its worth being aware that the fault could be at the frame end and not at the socket end, swap back to the original faceplate and see what happens and take it from there.

As mentioned above, the fault might be elsewhere. I'd suggest always testing the original faceplate before swapping, it might even be that the customer knew it was not working but didn't say.

This could also be the result of an external line fault if you find nothing wrong with your extensions. At your master socket check for voltage across 2 & 5, should be roughly -50V DC. If you get no reading or a very low voltage then there is an external fault preventing you getting dial tone. From our own experience of such issues, ADSL will continue to work with only one leg, albeit the sync speed will be significantly lower.
::. Kitz - ADSL Line + Connection problems .:: - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/connectionprobs.htm

Reply to Phone Line not working but broadband active in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net