Discuss Please help. Sockets on wooden skirting. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

Kev3440

Hi. I'm a currently selling my home, a Victorian Terrace house from the early 1900's.

The buyers have just had a survey completed which has highlighted a plug socket mounted on wooden skirting as a fire hazard.

We have been living here since 2013 and have had no issues, this was installed before our purchase of the house. I am keen to understand the regs and my options.

It is a double socket mounted on a plastic back box. It is not so close to the floor that the flex from a plug is severely bent.

I would be really grateful for some advice. I believe it's only because this is a '3' on the homebuyers survey. Can someone tell me when the regs came in and if they relate to installations prior.

Thanks all.

Did he put a regulation number in the report?
Many sockets even to the current regs are fitted in kitchen units . Many houses have sockets mounted on combustable surfaces.
In my opinion they have been over zealous.

it could be regarded as a C3 as "improvement recommended", but giving it any code is a bit OTT. as long as the flex is not bent to the point of potential damage, nowt wrong with it. you could ask the surveyor to quote a BS7671 regulation that warrants a code. bet he can't.

Thanks. When I referred to a '3' I meant on the homebuyers survey. What part of the current regs relate to sockets?? The survey says they are a fire risk? Does the fact that they are mounted on a plastic back box help or reduce the risk??

You need to challenge it and get clarity and regulation numbers to back it up .
He will in all likelihood have no electrical training.

Thanks guys for your help so far. Can anyone point me in the direction of the current regs??

ONLY a Electrical Installation Condition Report can accurately comment on such matters - did they have one?

If its been highlighted by a "general" surveyor I would be very surprised.

I would ask your solicitors to question tbe report and ask for some documentation to back up his finding , a c3 for an electrical report meens that an improvement can be made but the installation is in a satisfactory condition , i have no clue what a 3 meens in his report , but as others have said there is no electrical regulation that says that you can not mount a socket on a wooden skirting .

Reply to Please help. Sockets on wooden skirting. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock