Discuss Plumber needs training to gain Part P in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a fully qualified plumber and do a lot of bathroom fitting. I'm considering getting training for Part P to enable me to sign off electrical work in bathrooms.

Please advise on training courses and costs in the Tyne and Wear region.

MTIA

with all due respect, i'd say stick to plumbing, maybe train up to register as gas safe, but TBH, there's too many "other trades" entering the domestic "electricians" field that it's saturated with under qualified short course wonders.

To sign off your own electrical work you’ll need to join a scheme, for that you’ll need quals upto c&g 2391 or 2394/95 Inspect and test,not an easy exam.
As Tel says why don’t you go gas safe route? I’ve never met a poor domestic gas man!

Welcome Jim, as @Murdoch has stated, culture a relationship with a local sparky who will be able to assess the work and carry it out in good timing with you, it’ll save you all of the money and grief getting trained and you know that you’ll get work coming in from him because ‘we don’t touch water’!
I can see a beautiful relationship blossoming.

18th edition, a level 3 qualification and to be competent to join a CPS. I can’t help you with what training you require as I don’t know your level of competence. Maybe have a look at 2382-18, 2392 and 2393.

Along with a multifunction tester, a copy of the 18th edition and a copy of Guidance Note 3.

Hi,

I'm a fully qualified plumber and do a lot of bathroom fitting. I'm considering getting training for Part P to enable me to sign off electrical work in bathrooms.

Please advise on training courses and costs in the Tyne and Wear region.

MTIA

Lol.

“Signing off electrical work”

You’re a plumber not a spark stick to your own trade. Part-P isn’t a qualification it’s a building reg.

This thread is ridiculous.

Have you got a reliable good spark on board at the moment? If so I'd stick with that.

Have you given consideration as to how much this would cost? Even if you are competent and have the skill set you'd need time off to get your qualifications and training. Then there is insurance. Test Kit. Regs Books. Calibration of Test Kit. Test Software possibly. Scheme membership. Some different tools.

Personally if it was me I'd seek to get a good spark on board and get him/her to quote for each bathroom job and stick 15-20% on their price for running the job.

Reply to Plumber needs training to gain Part P in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net