Discuss Press Switches and Labeling in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Michaelp

Active EF Member
Dont have the switches yet but iam searching and looking for ways to label them too.These switches will be used on a plc system.
Ideally will be press/push 4 gang or more and if there is a light background option would be nice.
I have use some touch switches but find them not so reliable.If you touch it 100 time it will work 95times due to human error not touching the correct way or sometimes hands are wet or dirty.
My concern is not to just stick a label on the switches and look like a casual work but rather look polished and professional.Any ideas would help.

OP
Michaelp

Michaelp

Active EF Member
Good idea, thanks. I checked if there is something i can buy to do it by myself but the money and the knowledge to buy 1 of those machines are prohibitive.
Best to send them the switches for engraving.

davesparks

Forum Mentor
I use Apem A01 series pushbutton switches for this sort of thing and get a printed/engraved panel made to mount them in.

freddo

Regular EF Member
Yes I did them with a cheap Chinese 3040 type CNC milling machine, controlled with Mach3. I use StickFont V2 as it's really fast and simple for text, and Vectric Cut2D Desktop for cutting out shapes, again as it's easy to use for someone like me with no CAD/CAM skills. Photo attached of the grid plate in progress.

cncn.jpg
Edit, these machines are highly hackable and I have made a number of changes, it now has a higher power spindle, I also modified the controller so the emergency stop button stops the spindle as well as the stepper motors.

OP
Michaelp

Michaelp

Active EF Member
freddo,
The results looks professional and you have that setup with just few hundred pounds.
If you will do it again will you go for a laser engraver instead of the milling ?

freddo

Regular EF Member
freddo,
If you will do it again will you go for a laser engraver instead of the milling ?
I don't know, how well does laser engraving work on these types of materials? Milling and Traffolyte go well together.

I would have liked an electronic Gravograph but even second hand they cost thousands.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.