Discuss Problem customer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,

We have all had them, normally easy to resolve but in this case I don't know where I stand.

Customer of mine has bought a house and been having it renovated. I've disconnected and removed a few supplies from walls so they can be knocked down. He then asked me to replace the board at late notice so I juggled a few jobs around and got him a date, he let me down so it got rearranged, let down again so I didn't go out my way this time and told him I can replace the board one evening, lock it off and test it the morning the next day. Absolutely fine he said. So the board was changed and locked off. When I woke up the next day I had a text saying don't test today because the builder will be in the room. I wasn't happy being messed around for the 3rd time and called him to express that and to also remind him there's no electric, to which he asked me to remove the padlock, I politely declined. He's cut the padlock and switched everything on, then asked me to test it next week. This time I'm not going out my way and told him I'm now busy for the next three weeks. He's told me not to bother coming back he will test it. Woke this morning and he's paid me. It didn't need on the best terms.

My issue is I replaced the board and not tested it, therefore I can't sign it off, where do I stand with it? Do I tell him I have to test it and fight my corner even tho he's told me not to return or do I wash my hands and take the money?

Any any advice would be appreciated.
Thanks

spend the money and forget about it. you haven't re-energised it he has, theres nothing you can do if he doesn't want you back. if you want to put it to bed then either ring your scheme and tell them or call the local council and tell them this will cover you when he decides to change his story.

I would politely thank him fort the payment and confirm that as you weren't given the opportunity to test you can not be held responsible for any issues, nor can you notify it either.

Do I understand this right.
The customer has paid you for all the work and materials you have done up to now?
Can't see what you can do if the customer has paid your but doesn't want you to test.
Send him an email confirming what has happened and what was discussed between both off you. All future communications should be done by email, then you have proof of what is happening. (or if he ring you then send him an email outlining the discussion). Sounds like you have to cove our back just I case.

Do an Email corrospondance 'polite' thanking him for his business and ensuring within the Email its noted the board was left de-energised and locked awaiting for testing, as you will not be returning to site then express the responsibilty of the safety of the install is on his shoulders if he wishes to remove the lock and energise the circuits, noting you recommend it is fully tested first.

The Email is your proof but only if he replies so try to angle the Email for a response, express confirmation of the Email will put the matter to rest, ignoring the email and not responding will mean you will need to inform building control that you could not complete your work and you left it locked off. (This should get a response :) )

Last edited:
On my mobile I've got a call recording app setup - every call gets recorded. I've never flicked back through my recordings, but I know they are there and would prove if somebody has agreed to this etc.

On my mobile I've got a call recording app setup - every call gets recorded. I've never flicked back through my recordings, but I know they are there and would prove if somebody has agreed to this etc.

same here mate.

Do an Email corrospondance 'polite' thanking him for his business and ensuring within the Email its noted the board was left de-energised and locked awaiting for testing, as you will not be returning to site then express the responsibilty of the safety of the install is on his shoulders if he wishes to remove the lock and energise the circuits, noting you recommend it is fully tested first.

The Email is your proof but only if he replies so try to angle the Email for a response, express confirmation of the Email will put the matter to rest, ignoring the email and not responding will mean you will need to inform building control that you could not complete your work and you left it locked off. (This should get a response :) )

Dependng upon on the email software you use before you send it check the settings asking for a READ REPLY which if he clicks it will send an automatic email saying that it has been read. Save this as if he does not get back to you then you have proof he has read it informing him that it is responsibility removing the padlock and energising the circuits.

Dependng upon on the email software you use before you send it check the settings asking for a READ REPLY which if he clicks it will send an automatic email saying that it has been read. Save this as if he does not get back to you then you have proof he has read it informing him that it is responsibility removing the padlock and energising the circuits.
Unfortunately read reply isn't proof who read it and if an email has multiple access then it can be claimed it wasn't read by the correct party, a response usually show content of knowledge regarding the discussion so is often proof enough on its own even if claims of it been sent by a second party. Having said that your suggestion would be good if the Email address is a personel Email address.

Hi guys,

so I didn't go out my way this time and told him I can replace the board one evening, lock it off and test it the morning the next day. Absolutely fine he said. So the board was changed and locked off. When I woke up the next day I had a text saying don't test today because the builder will be in the room. I wasn't happy being messed around for the 3rd time and called him to express that and to also remind him there's no electric, to which he asked me to remove the padlock, I politely declined. He's cut the padlock and switched everything on, then asked me to test it next week.
This may come across as a Doubting Thomas, but I was wondering how you a replace a CU and lock it off, without doing your dead tests first? To do dead tests surely the cables have to be disconnected from ocpd etc, and then connected to the ocpd to carry out live tests. Do you connect all your circuits, only to disconnect them to carry out dead tests, before reconnecting them to do the live tests?

Or have I got hold of completely the wrong end of the stick again.

Thanks for all you responses. Spoke the the scam and they advised me similar to most on here, Take copies of all conversations, texts/emails and write down the date and times of phone conversations. As long as there is proof you have tried to attend and made it clear it wont be certified it should be fine. He did respond via text and said don't attend he will connect the final circuit that i have ran (ring to kitchen) and connect up everything in the kitchen once the plaster has finished, then get someone to sign it off.
I understand some of the guys saying he's paid don't worry but it doesn't quite sit right with me.

Thanks again for your responses .

damn sight better than if he hadn't paid.take advice and move on. the guy's a cretin.

Sorry but if the client has payed for all works so far, why the hell does he not want you back?, it would be in his best interest to have the job tested and certified/notified .? I do not understand this.

Sorry but if the client has payed for all works so far, why the hell does he not want you back?, it would be in his best interest to have the job tested and certified/notified .? I do not understand this.

It wouldn't be the first customer that knows better than anyone else.....

Good advice so far. I wouldn't be losing any sleep over it, you have done what you can under the circumstances. One thing I would add is that you are still out of pocket in my view. So along with your letter/email regarding the safety and signing off aspects etc you should be sending him another invoice for a new lock off and padlock!

Reply to Problem customer in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net