Discuss Problem with starting 11kV 800kW motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

S

subhpoto

When we start motor 800 kW at 11kV, just after closing, the motor feeder breaker as well as utility breaker both tripped. Then as another breaker between motor feeder and utility is intacted. Relay MICOM P220 indicated that there are two faults 1) unbalanced current and 2) Earth faults
The values of current are as under:
Ia=304.62A
Ib=302.5A
Ic=314.2A
In=49.47A
Further to this it is also pointed that the capacity of utility is 2 MWe
What are the causes? How they can be rectified? Lastly can the said utility bear such load.

When we start motor 800 kW at 11kV, just after closing, the motor feeder breaker as well as utility breaker both tripped. Then as another breaker between motor feeder and utility is intacted. Relay MICOM P220 indicated that there are two faults 1) unbalanced current and 2) Earth faults
The values of current are as under:
Ia=304.62A
Ib=302.5A
Ic=314.2A
In=49.47A
Further to this it is also pointed that the capacity of utility is 2 MWe
What are the causes? How they can be rectified? Lastly can the said utility bear such load.

Hi subhpoto,
looking at the figures i think you will find you have a low resistance on phase c,which using ohms law (for simplicity ),is whats causing a higher current on that phase ,either that or you have a high resistance on the other 2 phases,the current on the neutral is the indicator ,it wasnt there when the thing was built ,and i think im correct in saying its only there because of the inballance between phases,
I would turn it off ,and check all connections at the motor end,if you find 2 loose ones you could be very lucky if there all nice and tight ,it might be a long night,have a check the control end as well but i think its at the motor ,or rather "in" the motor,:mad:

so if all connections are nice and tight ,dissconect them all at the motor end and carry out an insulation resistance test on each winding ,if one is lower than the rest ,you have a break down in the insulation to earth ,as idicated by the control relay
problem is im not sure if even at 1000volts you will find it ,when the normal operating voltage is 11000,maybee you nead special kit to detect it,but i bet ya a pound to a pinch of **** fella ,thats what it is.:eek:

to rectify it if it is you might need a rewind,as it wont get better,it will get worse ,i would monitor it running and i think it will trip more ,often ,could **** up the relay as well but thats a risk you will need to weigh up in your own head ,but dont worry about that just yet,if your in charge you might be pumped by then.

Shakey might have a different approch mind,i know hes got good experiance of motors and gennys,but i think by the time you have checked the connections he might reply.and dont panic ,and remember Electricians dont have problems ,we have solutions,;)

Please let me know what it turns out to be ,
all the very best in the whole wide and wonderfull world :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi subhpoto,
looking at the figures i think you will find you have a low resistance on phase c,which using ohms law (for simplicity ),is whats causing a higher current on that phase ,either that or you have a high resistance on the other 2 phases,the current on the neutral is the indicator ,it wasnt there when the thing was built ,and i think im correct in saying its only there because of the inballance between phases,
I would turn it off ,and check all connections at the motor end,if you find 2 loose ones you could be very lucky if there all nice and tight ,it might be a long night,have a check the control end as well but i think its at the motor ,or rather "in" the motor,:mad:

so if all connections are nice and tight ,dissconect them all at the motor end and carry out an insulation resistance test on each winding ,if one is lower than the rest ,you have a break down in the insulation to earth ,as idicated by the control relay
problem is im not sure if even at 1000volts you will find it ,when the normal operating voltage is 11000,maybee you nead special kit to detect it,but i bet ya a pound to a pinch of **** fella ,thats what it is.:eek:

to rectify it if it is you might need a rewind,as it wont get better,it will get worse ,i would monitor it running and i think it will trip more ,often ,could **** up the relay as well but thats a risk you will need to weigh up in your own head ,but dont worry about that just yet,if your in charge you might be pumped by then.

Shakey might have a different approch mind,i know hes got good experiance of motors and gennys,but i think by the time you have checked the connections he might reply.and dont panic ,and remember Electricians dont have problems ,we have solutions,;)

Please let me know what it turns out to be ,
all the very best in the whole wide and wonderfull world :)

Just to check this fault trips the breakers before the switch to delta, yes?, what happens if the motor is already running? it sounds like a problem with either the start winding or the switch from star to delta. If you disconnect the start windings and start the motor up manually and without a load, powering only run windings, do you still get earth fault and or current imbalance

Last edited by a moderator:
I would disconect the motor, leave flying leads and test each line live. I would presume there is an imballence, thru the starter or from source. Is it auto star delta or manual? Is it old, oil filled starter?

Just to check this fault trips the breakers before the switch to delta, yes?, what happens if the motor is already running? it sounds like a problem with either the start winding or the switch from star to delta. If you disconnect the start windings and start the motor up manually and without a load, powering only run windings, do you still get earth fault and or current imbalance

there are no 'start' and 'run' windings, the is only one set of windings. The starter just reconfigures them for star and delta

i would go with Rum on this, there is clearly an imbalance, which is beng felt on the neutral, so either low or high resistance windings. My money is on low resistance, maybe even a partial short on one bank of coils.

only ever worked on high voltage motors three times all of them 3.3kv fed by a 3c 70mm connected in delta i think.Not allowed to touch HV now unless youve been on a HV course and have been made an HV/AP
yours benji

I hope all relevant documentation is in place and all the procedures are logged ie.do you have a switching schedule wrote out are your isolation methods approved and have you asked for a sanction to test and is it on an official document .The reason for the above is if somebody gets hurt somebody will be to blame and the HSE will be all over you.This drive has been of line sometime now i'am begining to think it's a figment of somebodies mind.
yours benji

Last edited:

Reply to Problem with starting 11kV 800kW motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock