Currently reading:
pulling the fuse

Discuss pulling the fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phil

requested by the apprentices favourite teacher "amber leaf"
Amber has asked if we can have a discussion and a poll for the results

regarding the pulling of the fuse to which i think we all know where we stand regarding the DNO etc and not being allowed to. i will include a poll at the top for your thoughts.

This is One of the Reason(s) people post here is to make sure that they get it Right by Getting Views from People who have been there Before or are Qualified in Such Matter’s .

For Young Electricians’ in the Making
O.S.G. BS-7671:2008 . What was the Reason for the Seal ????

P/17 . 2.2.1. Distributor’s Cut-Out ( Fuse )
This will be Sealed to Prevent the Fuse being Withdrawn by Unauthorised Person’s .

I see option 2 is slowly gaining ground.....

"course arranged by dno or similar to prove competence".

I will be surprized if 'option 2' doesnt end-up being the winner of this poll, however, the words "free course" would have helped the votes along I reckon.

And, perhaps, whilst attending the "free course" some qualifications need to be shown ?

Laugh.

Ill vote for option 1 and 2 then.

O dear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Accordfire : Q/As

The Distance between the Meter – Service Fuse & the Joint is about 2M . ( is this a Hard & Fast Rule ) DNO
Does it really make any Difference . if the Earth & Neutral are Combined up to the Service Fuse . or up to a Joint . ???

DNO – the Neutral of the Source of Energy connected with Earth at One Point Only ( at or near as is Reasonably Practicable to the Source ) ??

My Nest Question .
For any reason that the ( TN-S ) is Damaged .
How easy is it for the Supply Authority to Change a ( TN-S ) to Convert ( TN-C-S ) DNO . Concentric Cable ? or can it be Done

TN-S . Distribution is no Longer Available in Quantity as it Use to be . Do you Concur . So the only Practical Solution when Systems are Getting Upgraded / Repaired . ( TN-C-S ) can we Say it’s here to Stay . ? or is TN-S getting a thing of the Past . ?

My only Drawback is . Often Records are lost . or Unable to tell Us !!

Thank you Sir . Amber

Amberleaf :

For Our Younger Forum Viewer’s . That’s in the Back ground .
Please use the forums members expertise . There Principals’ are Out standing to help Anybody . that need’s Help .

Sometime it must seam Mind-blowing Stuff . But we have to Start Somewhere . The Forum is here to help Anybody .

In a TN-S system both the Neutral & Protective Conductors are separate within the Supply & within the Installation . Normally the means of Earthing is provided from the Supply Cable Metallic Sheath or Other separate supply Conductor .

In a ● TN-C-S system the Neutral & Earth are Combined within the Supply & separate within the Installation . This means of Earthing is Provided from the Combined Protective & Neutral Conductor’s of the Supply ( i.e. PME Earthing Terminal ) Learning Curve .

In a TT system there is No Earth Terminal provided from the Supply & an Earth is Provided by Separate Earth Electrodes . normally Supplemented by One or More Residual Current Devices . ( RCD ↔ ADS ) 17TH Edition .

Here in scottishhydro land they operate a scheme where members of niceic or select can cut the seals and fit temporary numbered seals. U inform them of the address seal no etc and it gets resealed in future visit. Seems to work not too badly
The standard of there distribution networks is frankly shocking tho. Instead of spending on wind farms an solar pv plants they should spend a bit on their 80 year old cable heads with no earth etc.
Usually getting the response of we are under no obligation ti give u an earth etc
Try putting an earth rod in a 3rd floor flat u donuts!

Scottish and southern extremely helpfull issue tempory seals 10 at a time if you cant give addresses up front-helpfull on enquiries pme upgrades etc-they have not charged for one yet! Edf on the other hand are pretty much impossibe to even speak to the corrct department and totaly forbid removal-luckily most of my work is in sse area.One thing to note though sse recoment full protective gloves,mat and full eyeshield-the bakerlite can literally disintergrate in your hands-they showed me pictures when i called into local head office(£40 odds worth of ppe can really save your life)
It is a shame talks broke down with niceic and all scheme providers to get approval for removal accross all distribution companies

Just pull the fuse. Your life is paramount. It all comes down to “Safe Isolation”. I’ve had more than my fair share of bust ups with power companies,
Never lost yet!
They get down right snotty when you switch off the 33KV feed to a sub, I’ve done that twice now!

BS-7671:2008 . Younger Members

Scope . Object & Fundamental Principles .
This Standard contains the rules for the Design & Erection of Electrical Installation so as to Provide for Safety & Proper Functioning for the Intended Use .

131. Fundamental Principles ( What the Regulations are here for . ) ◄ Yeah ,
Protection for Safety . Intended to provide for the Safety of Persons , Livestock & Property against Dangers’& Damage which may Arise in the
Reasonable use of Electrical Installation’s etc.

120.3 . Scope . Object & Fundamental Principles .
( Plain English )
The Resulting Degree Safety of the Installation shall be Not Less than Obtain by Compliance with the Regulation’s

Definitions : Competent Person . ( That’s what you are Aiming For ) ( Don’t Cut Corner’s ) &
A Person who Possesses Sufficient Technical Knowledge & Experience for the Nature of the Electrical Work Undertaken & is able at all Times to Prevent Danger . & where Appropriate . to Him/Herself & Other’s ………… ( Don’t Cut Corner’s )

▲ This Definition is Aligned with the Memorandum of Guidance on the ( Electricity & Work Regulation’s 1989 )

131.8. Scope . Object & Fundamental Principles .
Addition’s & Alteration’s to an Installation .
Your . Fundamental Principles . Before Work is Undertaken ( When will I use this One !!! Every Day in Life ) Start as you Mean to go ON . Yeah ( you are Professionals in the Making )

The Fundamental Regulatory Requirement’s . Yeah . it’s all in the Wording

“ Professionalism “ ( Younger Forum Member’s you are Carrying the High Standards of this Forum with You ) be Sean not Heard

If you are Required to Alter or Extend existing Circuits ,
However :- the Fundamental Principles Apply to Any Extension or Addition’s & Alteration’s to an Installation(s)

Reply to pulling the fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back