Discuss pulling the fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bloody hell your a fountain of common sense, if only we could get both idea's adopted, the JIB one and fuse one. If I write to some MP's and the JIB and others do you mind if I use your idea's. Would be great to get rid of the Part P scheme and also finally have a scheme where sparks can get on with their bloody work without worrying whether a DNO is going to smack them on the ar**.

Yes, but your insistence on "JIB" takes over half the highly qualified electricians in the industry right out of the game.

We NEED a body which is not at all commercial, and has no advantage in promoting "its" members over any other. The emphasis HAS to be on safety and qualification, and NOT on commercial advantage.

Yes, I know the JIB is supposed to be impartial, but clearly any arrangement between ONE industry body and ONE union is never going to speak for the entire industry.

The problem is, and remains that there is no ONE impartial voice that speaks for the electrical industry on all matters affecting us. We need to look at stopping fragmentation, and stopping one part of the industry acting in what IT thinks is everyone's best interests, while in reality only speaking for around 30-40% of the industry.

Ultimately, the JIB is as toothless as we are individually. It can't even enforce it's own name.

FWIW backing the JIB to oversee the entire industry is a bit like getting the IET to oversee electrical testing on sites.

What we really need is a competent government funded department (like we don't pay enough in taxes anyway) that co-ordinates trades and licencing throughout, IRRESPECTIVE of membership in unions, trade associations, and any other clubs that come along. It is high time that all of these schemes stopped giving BUSINESSES the competitive advantage through assumed levels of competence and ability, and placed identification and membership ON THE GUY DOING THE WORK.

It is so easy for ANY company to employ the minimum required number of qualified individuals, do a few jobs for inspection by an approvals board, and then either remove the guys who are qualified, or let ANYONE do the work under the umbrella of approval these days. And that's a key problem ---- The COMPANY gets the approval, and the GUYS DOING THE WORK do not get the training, and end up doing dangerous work under an approved banner.

It needs a ground up rethink - and guys down there in the field doing the work need a way to prove, on demand that THEY, not the company, are QUALIFIED and ABLE to do the work. Gas SAFE had the basics of the right idea with their symbols on the back of the card - that needs improving and adapting.

Simply, we need to move away from COMPANY approvals, and put it back to the men in such a ways that it doesn't impact their earnings.

Accordfire : Dear Sir . may I say you’re a Very Wiseman On Matter’s .

Firstly : Can I run this Past you Please . In this Day of Age . is there no Law in the Land to Force them to put in an Isolator ( For Safe Isolation ? ) your Right it is all about Money . ( Yes if you Pay for It . Yeah ) Money ( New Installation you get one Free ) Thank You . A

Firstly : Can I run this Past you Please . In this Day of Age . is there no Law in the Land to Force them to put in an Isolator ( For Safe Isolation ? ) your Right it is all about Money . ( Yes if you Pay for It . Yeah ) Money ( New Installation you get one Free ) Thank You . A

Dear Amberleaf - thank you for your very kind words.

As regards the law, the Electricity Act 1989 makes no specific provision at all for the termination of the supply in a premises. The existing method of incoming termination, fuse and seal is designed to protect the supplier, as we well know. Section 29 of the Act allows for the Home Secretary to make order as he sees fit regarding the safety of supply....I don't know if that could be brought to bear in respect of requiring isolators to be fitted.

Even going as far as DNO CUSC codes, I can find nothing to require fitment of an isolator between the cut out and the CU.

I think it is a primary area that each of our industry bodies should be united on, and fighting for, however. It could, after all, be argued that the DNOs are placing electricians at severe risk in several respects, and have been for many years.

It would be a relatively simple matter, I believe to move either to registered seals as others have said, or even more safely to the installation of REC 2 type switches AFTER the cut out - and secured with a padlock with a registered key - a master system in which the DNO's issue the key to suitably qualified individuals upon registration.

After all, it isn't like the DNO cannot tell when a service fuse has been removed....

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by amberleaf

I would think that every household in the land, has more than paid for a safety isolator to be fitted via the standing charges that are applied to every invoice they send out for payment of electricity.

In fact, with the amount of money each customer has paid over the years, i'd go as far as saying it should even be a Gold plated isolator!!...lol!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Bloody hell your a fountain of common sense, if only we could get both idea's adopted, the JIB one and fuse one. If I write to some MP's and the JIB and others do you mind if I use your idea's. Would be great to get rid of the Part P scheme and also finally have a scheme where sparks can get on with their bloody work without worrying whether a DNO is going to smack them on the ar**.

Yep as long as you give me a mention. One thing to remember taking power from these agencies during a recession would be a hard thing to do

Accordfire,

Whilst I agree with the provision of a 'Main Isolator' after the meter (in fact I think it should be a mandatory requirement for the DNO to provide it)! But I don't think that it would be a good idea to lock it with a registered key? or have I misunderstood you?

In installations with 2 or more sub-boards, having just one Main Isolator, would be an additional safety device if the customer (or sparks) needed to shut down the whole installation in an emergency - especially when there are 3 or 4 Isolators (the customer rarely know which one does what)! In fact I came across one the other day that was completely hidden by an old economy 7 analogue meter that had been fitted in front of it, on the side of the meter cupboard, completely blocking the isolator from view.

The idea of having isolators after the meter is ''Sound'' It's just the details that need to be sorted out , of how the system will work!!

Does anyone recall the article from NICEIC (maybe in Connections magazine) announcing that they were in advanced discussions with DNO's regarding insertion and removal of service fuses?

It was probably 5 or so years ago but serves as a good indication of how painfully slow these dinosaur companies go through any decision process!

And then each individual DNO will have to agree!

Accordfire,

Whilst I agree with the provision of a 'Main Isolator' after the meter (in fact I think it should be a mandatory requirement for the DNO to provide it)! But I don't think that it would be a good idea to lock it with a registered key? or have I misunderstood you?

In installations with 2 or more sub-boards, having just one Main Isolator, would be an additional safety device if the customer (or sparks) needed to shut down the whole installation in an emergency - especially when there are 3 or 4 Isolators (the customer rarely know which one does what)! In fact I came across one the other day that was completely hidden by an old economy 7 analogue meter that had been fitted in front of it, on the side of the meter cupboard, completely blocking the isolator from view.

No, you didn't misunderstand me :)

The point of having an isolator after the cut out would be not for customer safety, but for electrician safety, for testing, alterations, and so on.

The customer/end user should ALWAYS be able to isolate the electrical supply in the premises by use of the main switch in the consumer unit, and should have no reason ever to need to isolate prior to this point.

Don't forget, we're advocating an ADDITIONAL main switch in effect, not a replacement for the one which should be in the CU for customer/end user isolation.

By use of a registered key, the DNO's have the "security" of knowing that only registered (and presumably suitably qualified) individuals are isolating the incoming supply to the property, yet without disrupting the service fuse.

In short, the purpose of a REC 2 style main isolating switch between the cut out and the CU would be for the benefit of electrical contractors primarily - and may yet serve to prevent DIY CU changes, ending up in disaster.

06 Aug 2009 > British Gas don't Fit isolators . This cant be the Price Chaps . ?? what is it Now a Days

ask for an isolator to be fitted.
informed me that they no longer fit isolator switches, but i could have the main fuse pulled at the cost £120 + vat but they could no guarantee they be back the same day.

Is someone taking the P ?

( A spark would probably charge less than £120 to come out and fit an isolator anyway... )
( best not call up for the seal to be replaced as it seems to be a standing charge of a call out! ) ??? is this So !!

I'm happy to pay for an isolator, But for £120 just to pull the fuse or reseal seems excessive i would expect it all to be done and dusted for that price

Off the Internet . PS. is this right or Wrong . Please . A

Some DNO's were permitting registered persons to pull the fuse and were given seals to reinstate.

Many new installations and meter replacements are now supplied with a "self connect" meter.

One side is sealed with the incomming tails and the other has a slot for a screwdriver to isolate and a screw on cover so that we can connect our tails when we are ready.

On the subject of 1361 fuses & carriers.

Although they are marked 100A, this is the rating of the carrier and NOT whats always inside.

A bit like a plug top.

Some DNO's were permitting registered persons to pull the fuse and were given seals to reinstate.

Many new installations and meter replacements are now supplied with a "self connect" meter.

One side is sealed with the incomming tails and the other has a slot for a screwdriver to isolate and a screw on cover so that we can connect our tails when we are ready.

On the subject of 1361 fuses & carriers.

Although they are marked 100A, this is the rating of the carrier and NOT whats always inside.

A bit like a plug top.

As with many things, a shame these "self connect" meters aren't more widely available and used. At least we know they have a potential "solution" out there.

And a very valid point about cut out fuses too!

I cam across a NEW style incomer with the new white finish recently, clearly labelled 100A.....NOT sealed, as the new head was put in ahead of EIC testing......Yet, a quick look showed that they'd refitted the original 60A fuse in the carrier......d'oh.

They also quoted three weeks to the sparks in question to come out and replace it with a 100A fuse, which was the whole point of changing the thing in the first place.

Must admit, i have built up a good relationship with my local "jointers" and if they have a new style meter on the van, they will fit that for me, especially if im not ready to connect.

If not, they let me have a few seals that i can use when im done.

They even let me do my own PME conversions from TT if its available :D

How long do you think this Mess will be Cleared up .
Although they are marked 100A, this is the rating of the carrier and NOT what’s always inside.. Your Right

Accordfire . ahead of EIC testing......Yet, a quick look showed that they'd refitted the original 60A fuse in the carrier......d'oh.
quoted three weeks to the sparks in question to come out and replace it with a 100A fuse,

To much Red Tape Here I feel . This has to come to Light. Somewhere .

Must admit, i have built up a good relationship with my local "jointers" and if they have a new style meter on the van, they will fit that for me, especially if im not ready to connect.

If not, they let me have a few seals that i can use when im done.

They even let me do my own PME conversions from TT if its available :D

Had a bag of seals and a crimp donated many years ago....sadly all long used up now.

Never see the same face twice down here, and London's a joke....even the jointers don't have seals half the time lol!

If only change was easy, huh?

(PM'd you BTW, when u get a minute)....no rush.

british gas get unitied utilities to fit 100A isolator, meter, and tails on there side for £39 whichever of the three you need done or all its one price £39

Accordfire . Sorry about this you set me OFF in one “ Knowledge “ Old Amber . so my books are Out .

Fact of Fiction

The Supply Authority are duty bound On Enquiry to tell you what System you have . Although it Often takes some Persistence to get them to tell you as often they need to send someone Out to Test & of course that Cost them Money . ( Can you Confirm this Please )

From .
Statutory Instrument 2002 No.2665 .
The Electricity Safety . Quality & Continuity Regulations 2002 . ( Can you Confirm this is it change to 2006 ?? )

It States :-
Information to be provided on request
28 . A Distributor shall provide . in respect of any existing or proposed Consumer’s Installation which is connected or is to be connected to his network . to any person who can show a reasonable cause for requiring the Information . a Written Statement of -

(a) The maximum Prospective Short Circuit Current at the Supply Terminals .
(b) for Low Voltage connection . the Maximum Earth Loop Impedance of the Earth Fault path Outside the Installation .
(c) the Type & Rating of the Distributor’s Protective Device or Device’s nearest to the Supply Terminals .
(d) the Type of Earthing System applicable to the connection . &
(e) the Information Specified in Regulation 27(1)

Which apply . or will apply . to that Installation .
Under (d) above it is clearly the Responsibility of the DNO to tell you what Earthing System you should have .

As Regards the Earthing System your local Distributor is Legally Obliged to confirm the Type of Earthing Arrangement that you have Free-of-Charge . Quote Regulation (28) of the Electrical Safety . Quality & Continuity Regulations 2002 ( ESQCR2002 ) ….. HSE rules are Complex . Yeah .

They Must tell you or they are Breaking the Law . ??

Require the Fuse Drawing . ( in an Emergency of course one can Draw the Fuse although One should Not Replace it . of course Firemen do just this )

DNO do not want the User to be able to Isolate their Meter as this would allow People to Steal Power with More Ease . & with Smart Meter’s it would stop the DNO getting Information from the Meter . ?? ( This is my View only )

A Car must have a Brake but Nothing stops it from having Two . So use of “ a Means “ what a word can do . Yeah DNO !! Accordfire

433.3.1 . (iii)
At the Origin of an Installation where the Distributor provides an Overload Device & aggress that it Affords Protection to the part of the Installation between the Origin & The Maim Distribution point of the Installation where further Overload Protection is Provided .

thank you Amber .

Accordfire . Sorry about this you set me OFF in one “ Knowledge “ Old Amber . so my books are Out .

Fact of Fiction

The Supply Authority are duty bound On Enquiry to tell you what System you have . Although it Often takes some Persistence to get them to tell you as often they need to send someone Out to Test & of course that Cost them Money . ( Can you Confirm this Please )

From .
Statutory Instrument 2002 No.2665 .
The Electricity Safety . Quality & Continuity Regulations 2002 . ( Can you Confirm this is it change to 2006 ?? )

The DNO, you would imagine, should be under an obligation to know precisely HOW it supplies every customer it has. I seem to recall much noise being made when PME was introduced that it would be delivered to all properties in the UK by a given time, though I cannot recall now, where in the mists of time I got that. Either way, you would assume that it would be a relatively simple matter for a DNO to maintain records of connection type, without reverting to field inspection.

I don't believe the Q&CR 2002 has been superceded yet - it replaced the Electricity Supply Act of 1988 (as amended) - so I think the information you quote is still valid in all respects.

It States :-
Information to be provided on request
28 . A Distributor shall provide . in respect of any existing or proposed Consumer’s Installation which is connected or is to be connected to his network . to any person who can show a reasonable cause for requiring the Information . a Written Statement of -

(a) The maximum Prospective Short Circuit Current at the Supply Terminals .
(b) for Low Voltage connection . the Maximum Earth Loop Impedance of the Earth Fault path Outside the Installation .
(c) the Type & Rating of the Distributor’s Protective Device or Device’s nearest to the Supply Terminals .
(d) the Type of Earthing System applicable to the connection . &
(e) the Information Specified in Regulation 27(1)

Which apply . or will apply . to that Installation .
Under (d) above it is clearly the Responsibility of the DNO to tell you what Earthing System you should have .

As Regards the Earthing System your local Distributor is Legally Obliged to confirm the Type of Earthing Arrangement that you have Free-of-Charge . Quote Regulation (28) of the Electrical Safety . Quality & Continuity Regulations 2002 ( ESQCR2002 ) ….. HSE rules are Complex . Yeah .

They Must tell you or they are Breaking the Law . ??

This is certainly the basis on which the BS7671 forms state that certain figures can be ascertained "by enquiry" and IMHO, I believe the intent was to attach a copy of said written statement to the EIC forms where enquiry was used as the method of establishing the figures. Of course, it isn't done that way, in reality, and I cannot recall the last time I saw a written statement from a DNO confirming supply characteristics.

But yes, my read of the Act is the same as yours - they are legally obliged to provide this information free of charge to anyone with a reasonable interest - e.g. electrical contractor, property owner, and similar. Failure to provide such would, in simple terms, be breaching this Act, and as such, breaking a law.

Require the Fuse Drawing . ( in an Emergency of course one can Draw the Fuse although One should Not Replace it . of course Firemen do just this )

DNO do not want the User to be able to Isolate their Meter as this would allow People to Steal Power with More Ease . & with Smart Meter’s it would stop the DNO getting Information from the Meter . ?? ( This is my View only )

A Car must have a Brake but Nothing stops it from having Two . So use of “ a Means “ what a word can do . Yeah DNO !! Accordfire

Yes, the Fire Service has been known to pull the cut out fuse - though as you say, will rarely replace it (though many electricians subsequently will as the "seal" is no longer an issue)....and claim it was necessary for testing purposes. It does highlight that DNO's are selective with their rules - in other words you can pull and replace the cut out if and when it suits them, but not at other times - whatever your role.

When we install sub-mains from a primary incomer to say, an outbuilding, we often do so by means of a switch fuse at either end of the sub-main supply cable - this is deemed safe, and proper practice, and allows us freedom to work on the sub-main supply if needed. I fail to see how a primary main coming into a building is ANY different at all.

The installation of a second main switch on the tails between the meter and the CU would in no way bypass the meter, and in fact, would discourage ANYONE from tampering with the meter at all.

For those intent on stealing electricity - and we have, I daresay, all seen plenty of this, I don't think safety is, or has ever been, the primary concern, as so many times I've seen a bit of 6, 10, or 16mm T&E wedged into the supply tail terminals with the seal still fully intact.

That is a different case, and would happen irrespective of a second main switch fitted or not. Indeed, it may lead the less intelligent electricity thief to wedge his bit of twin and earth into the main switch thus NOT avoiding the meter.......the use of a switch in such a position, IMO would only serve to provide safe isolation between "repsonsibilities" - e.g. a clear and SAFE deliniation between what is the DNO's responsibility, and what is the property owner's. The current arrangement does NOT provide that at all.

433.3.1 . (iii)
At the Origin of an Installation where the Distributor provides an Overload Device & aggress that it Affords Protection to the part of the Installation between the Origin & The Maim Distribution point of the Installation where further Overload Protection is Provided .

thank you Amber .

Yes......two fuses. However, it makes the distinction between PROTECTION (of the supply) and SAFETY (for working on or around it).

Compare and contrast with a gas supply coming into a property......a shut off is provided, yet that allows easy access to the meter. Water, on the other hand, works exactly the way we're asking for - the meter is put out in the street, and a shut off (main stop cock) is provided inside or adjacent to the property.

Accordfire . May I take Opportunity to Thank You for your Time on this Matter . May I say you’re a Credit to this Forum . What ever your Getting Paid ask the Boss to Double it . Amber Big thank You .

Reply to pulling the fuse in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net