Discuss question about induction motor in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

subhpoto

How Current vary by increasing/ decreasing the number of poles of an induction motor?. in other word what is relation ship b/w number of poles and motor current.

I know that to calculate the synchronous rpm of a motor is

rpm = 120 x f/Np

to calculate the horsepower

HP = rpm x T (torque)/5252

and to calculate the current

I = HP x 746/V x Eff x PF

so by adding some values i have roughly worked out the following

with 415v(delta) efficiency of 90% and pf of 88% and torque of 4 ft/ib

(I1) 2 poles= 5.17A
4 poles= 2.593A
6 poles= 1.729A
8 poles= 1.296A

so as you can see that the current is inversely proportional to the number of poles, remember though you are also reducing the rpm with increase in poles

in this case the current after number of poles added (I2) =

(I2) = (I1) / (No of poles/2)

but then again what do i know...it could all just be bollox lol:D

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to question about induction motor in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Looking for counsel / guidance to replace an original Dayton On/off with speed control switch. I’ve checked with a couple local electrical supply...
Replies
Views
I want to check the insulation of the 3-phase 400VAC asynchronous squirrel cage motor. Motor's stator windings are connected in delta. I've read...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have a project I have been working on, that has me out of my depth with regard to my knowledge, as I am a very basic electronic hobbies...
Replies
Views
Hello, novice diyer here, but trying to learn more about electrical. I have done some basic wiring but that's about it. I have one of those...
Replies
Views
Absolutely losing my brain here guys What I would like to be able to do is power our 3 phase motor on a single phase supply. Thought I had it...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock