Discuss Quick quote. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys. I’ve got a rough cost in my head, but I just want some guidance on a quote please. I’m doing a small job for a local guy, he wants 4 downlights added to his kitchen, the existing pendant relocating and swapping for new fitting (customer provided). And a pendant in his laundry room swapping for a down light too. I need to change the existing 1 gang for a 2 gang. Can make a bit of mess as the ceiling is being reskimmed and walls can be patched. Customer wants Matt black adjustable down lights, I’ve found some ansell ones that fit the job, with the delivery and GU10s I can get 5 of them for £66.

what would you guys look at charging for this? No need to take in to account travel/fuel etc.

cheers

In my area Labour and consumables included cable , clips , wagos etc would be about £600 ish + the cost of the DLs

for an ‘all in’ price I would be quoting about £800

I base all of my quotes now on £60-65 per hour if reasonably local

i know people who will quote well over a grand now for a job like this but they drive brand new vans that they have to pay for

I’m gobsmacked how cheap electrical work still is in other parts of the country , 300-400 quid would be considered insanely cheap in Surrey

maybe a 400 quid quick cash in pocket job if the client was provided all the gear , lights , cable etc

this would be booked in at a days Labour which is standard around £65 ph in my area (I know lots of other sparks whom charge much higher)

so 8 x 65 = £520 Labour

I’m gobsmacked how cheap electrical work still is in other parts of the country , 300-400 quid would be considered insanely cheap in Surrey

maybe a 400 quid quick cash in pocket job if the client was provided all the gear , lights , cable etc

this would be booked in at a days Labour which is standard around £65 ph in my area (I know lots of other sparks whom charge much higher)

so 8 x 65 = £520 Labour
Where in Surrey? I charge £30 / but I’m not what you’d class as an experienced spark so probably would charge more if I was quicker and more experienced. I have a time served mate down the road who was still charging £30 / hour though.

Where in Surrey? I charge £30 / but I’m not what you’d class as an experienced spark so probably would charge more if I was quicker and more experienced. I have a time served mate down the road who was still charging £30 / hour though.
I’m in Guildford area but regular work around Cobham , Esther , Woking , Godalming etc

When I was at my busiest a few year pre covid , I was £30 ph and literally rushed off my feet doing 7 days a week nearly every week. It was manic. I was doing small jobs like the OP on a Sunday morning for about £160 Labour. I was super busy and the phone never stopped ringing…too busy infact. I never put 2 and 2 together and worked out I was super cheap and way cheaper than others in my area

I have increased my rates year on year since that very busy period and now maintain steady work but not flat out anymore

most wet pants , sparks , gas engineers I know are all in the same ball park of £60-100ph

my rate includes small consumables like wagos , boxes etc

I know others who literally bill the Client for everything down to the last pipe coupler

just quoting a job . 2 flats, partial rewire +. gave client a ball park figure (labour only) of £3000 - £4000 that's for 2 sparks and 1 mate for 5 -7 days. client says way too expensive.

just quoting a job . 2 flats, partial rewire +. gave client a ball park figure (labour only) of £3000 - £4000 that's for 2 sparks and 1 mate for 5 -7 days. client says way too expensive.
Depends what’s involved ?

if it’s one pendant and 2 sockets per room then £4000 is probably on the higher side

if it’s numerous downlights and multiple sockets per room then £4000 is probably cheap

have you tried pricing it ‘per point’ at around £100 per point ?

I’m in Guildford area but regular work around Cobham , Esther , Woking , Godalming etc

When I was at my busiest a few year pre covid , I was £30 ph and literally rushed off my feet doing 7 days a week nearly every week. It was manic. I was doing small jobs like the OP on a Sunday morning for about £160 Labour. I was super busy and the phone never stopped ringing…too busy infact. I never put 2 and 2 together and worked out I was super cheap and way cheaper than others in my area

I have increased my rates year on year since that very busy period and now maintain steady work but not flat out anymore

most wet pants , sparks , gas engineers I know are all in the same ball park of £60-100ph

my rate includes small consumables like wagos , boxes etc

I know others who literally bill the Client for everything down to the last pipe coupler
Nice to hear ? I’m just south of Godalming and pick a few jobs up round Milford, Witley and down to Haslemere. ?

Nice to hear ? I’m just south of Godalming and pick a few jobs up round Milford, Witley and down to Haslemere. ?

I used to do loads of work for a kitchen and bathroom company based out of Godalming back in the day , I even travelled as far as petworth for a few kitchen rewires

lovely part of surrey , some very affluent roads around

i re wired a couple massive houses in Frensham and Lower Bourne which isnt too far from you

Out of curiosity are you CPS registered as I’m thinking of ditching mine at the next renewal and might need a 3rd party guy local for part pee ?

I used to do loads of work for a kitchen and bathroom company based out of Godalming back in the day , I even travelled as far as petworth for a few kitchen rewires

lovely part of surrey , some very affluent roads around

i re wired a couple massive houses in Frensham and Lower Bourne which isnt too far from you

Petworth is Sussex! Nearly on my patch there. I did a few jobs there a while back, but it’s too far for me really. I can travel to London outskirts in a similar time and usually get more money.

Petworth is Sussex! Nearly on my patch there. I did a few jobs there a while back, but it’s too far for me really. I can travel to London outskirts in a similar time and usually get more money.
My mistake , yes petworth is indeed sussex. Been a good few years since I have worked that far south

Depends what’s involved ?

if it’s one pendant and 2 sockets per room then £4000 is probably on the higher side

if it’s numerous downlights and multiple sockets per room then £4000 is probably cheap

have you tried pricing it ‘per point’ at around £100 per point ?
it's an awkward one .lights are to stay with any faults fixed, some additional lights to be added. living areas extra sockets and existing testing etc. all new front plates, kitchen and bathrooms all new, sockets showers, etc. 2 new CUs. customer supplying gear as he can get the vat back, i estimated 1 wek for me and another spark + 1 mate, but think that's too muck for 1 week. more like 10 days.that's where i'm struggling. pricef for 1 weekor 2? give him a window £4K-8k?

it's an awkward one .lights are to stay with any faults fixed, some additional lights to be added. living areas extra sockets and existing testing etc. all new front plates, kitchen and bathrooms all new, sockets showers, etc. 2 new CUs. customer supplying gear as he can get the vat back, i estimated 1 wek for me and another spark + 1 mate, but think that's too muck for 1 week. more like 10 days.that's where i'm struggling. pricef for 1 weekor 2? give him a window £4K-8k?
2 sparks you can probably crash that out in a week

price for a week for 2 sparks , I personally wouldn’t bother with the mate on this kind of job

would you be happy to walk away with 2 grand for a hard weeks work ?

if the answer is yes then stick your price in at 4 grand take it or leave it

keep in mind if you run over that comes out of your price , that’s why I wouldnt go much lower

2 sparks you can probably crash that out in a week

price for a week for 2 sparks , I personally wouldn’t bother with the mate on this kind of job

would you be happy to walk away with 2 grand for a hard weeks work ?

if the answer is yes then stick your price in at 4 grand take it or leave it

keep in mind if you run over that comes out of your price , that’s why I wouldnt go much lower
problem is that i am no longer physically capable of heavy work. I'd be doing some of 2nd fixing, the CUs and testing. therefore most of the hard graft would be spark #2 and the mate.

Reply to Quick quote. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock