Discuss Quotes Estimates and pricing in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

MFS Electrical

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I’ve always given my quotes and estimates out in a sort of broken down way-usually broken down into materials and labour so customers can see exactly what they are paying for and to keep it more transparent for the customer.
Just wondering if I’m alone in doing it this way and why you think it’s a good/bad idea

PS I’m considering changing the format of my quotes/estimates to make them much quicker to do.

I price on a per point basis.Generally you can make much more doing it this way than labour and materials.
So say i wire 3 double sockets in someones house then going on labour+ materials then it might take you 3 hours+£30 materials which would be £120.Where as i charge £70 per socket netting you £210 for the same job.Sometimes you lose out but most jobs priced this way nets you more money per job than just labour.

Generally my quotes look like yours Essex but supply of DB including tails and sundries £---
Install of DB £---
Supply of outdoor socket and cable £---
Installation of socket £---
And so on.
It’s always good to get an insight into what others do:thumbsup:
I’m thinking of revising it to be more like yours Essex
but I do like the idea of pricing per point bob but the problem with that is it isn’t really a one size fits all approach in my opinion. I’ll continue to have a think about it it’s more just to save time on quoting as they are coming in thick and fast these days and take forever to do :rolleyes:

I price materials and labour, only ever had one numpty ask me if he could supply the parts. I like to be transparent and I don't think people sometimes realise how much parts cost.
I actually get that quite often:rolleyes: usually they change their mind when I say there’s no guarantee with any parts that i didn’t supply

I just list down everything and give a final price for domestic.

For commercial customers I tend to do labour and materials plus mark up.

I find listing prices for each item can at times back fire as customers can’t see how long or awkward something takes, they just see the price charged for something.

I sometimes price as a whole, sometimes price per "part" as Essex above.
Never do I price materials and labour separate though. My mark up on materials is my business and prices are too easy to match online or with DIY sheds. Can't be arsed with any potential hassle arguing over material costs. Having said that, my customers are generally not the sort to get into that sort of BS, but there's always one.

Depends on the client but generally I list all materials down to the last clip and price and then the labour cost. I hate getting quotes like;
To fit and supply CU £550. I want to know the labour and materials it lets me see what exactly is being charged for. But then sometimes, especially commercially it is more generally accepted that an all in price is acceptable and they don't usually require a detailed breakdown. So for instance I can say to a commercial client it is £80 per LED panel fitted so you want 20 (x £80) so £1600. I can usually do that in a day so....

I agree with Essex, exactly the way I do it, and I do it this way because they can make changes if money is tight and you end up working at a loss under certain conditions if you give too much away, JMO

I tend to mostly use estimates rather than quotes that way if anything unexpected crops up I have a get out and don’t need to run at a loss. I do tell the customer if anything crops up that will change the price and I’ve only ever had a problem with one customer complaining about me changing the price from my estimate but I pointed them to the Ts&Cs on my website, which they should have read beforehand as stated on the bottom of all my estimates/quotes. I’ll post up a mock estimate so you can see how I do it now. See if there is anything I can improve to make it go a little quicker.

This isn’t the current template I use to deliver estimates it has changed a little since this one was introduced but it was the only one I had in my phone it still looks pretty similar to the one customers get now and you can get the gist of how I convey the price. Also editing this template is a pig on the phone and that’s why the lines are all over the place it isn’t what it usually looks like, honest.

The prices within are completely made up and do not reflect in anyway, any real pricing of MFS Electrical.
This estimate is for illustration purposes only and any reproduction is forbidden except where permitted in writing by MFS Electrical.
Quotes Estimates and pricing FD6DA765-FCD2-4C7C-9A31-7E62E69501D4 - EletriciansForums.net

Again, the prices within are totally made up and do not reflect, in anyway, any real pricing of MFS Electrical.
This estimate is for illustration purposes only and any reproduction is forbidden except where permitted in writing by MFS Electrical.Quotes Estimates and pricing CD529A3D-BC74-44E1-A438-46B6C85F1194 - EletriciansForums.net

I’m thinking of changing to the second one because it will save a bit of time on each one so it will be somewhat similar to @essex and @MDJ ‘s quotes/estimates I do like to let the customer know how much materials are Vs how much labour is but it is getting quite impractical. I do think though that there are a few higher value jobs that I wouldn’t have got without breaking things down as with the first one, As quite often the customer can be shocked at the overall price... especially with higher value jobs.
Excuse the disclaimers it’s not that I don’t trust my fellow forum-mates. I just thought it would be prudent to include them as this is a public forum:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Reply to Quotes Estimates and pricing in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock