Discuss Ratchet cable cutters recommendations, budget of around£100 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

derek

-
Esteemed
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has recommendations for ratchet cable cutters or has used the either the Partex or SWA cable cutters. Any other recommendations welcome, I wouldn't mind the weidmuller KT45R but they are a bit over my budget unfortunately, unless someone knows someone selling them second hand?

Or

View: https://www.amazon.co.uk/SWA-RCC400HD-Ratchet-Cutter-Cables/dp/B07D5KMQ22/ref=pd_aw_sbs_60_4?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07D5KMQ22&pd_rd_r=6594c908-4e85-4d0a-a4a6-ac9133757b5a&pd_rd_w=w23pZ&pd_rd_wg=mJ6UI&pf_rd_p=5818759f-d536-4eca-aa1c-635efdddd146&pf_rd_r=Z2H0WCE02HPNRYDAPCEE&psc=1&refRID=D79BBPY9SRBST7GBEYZ4

I need them for cutting up to 300mm² copper conductors for motors and panel supplies.

the SWA tool is adequate for the job. it's not as if the tool is calibrated or needs a specific spec. it just cuts.

Don't suppose you know if they are well made enough to last do you Tel, I have seen lots of cheap Chinese imports so not sure how well made these things are these days?

i got trhe SWA tool back in 2004. not had too much use, but still strong enough to cut a lamb leg bone.

I've got a £20 set from ebay which have lasted a year so far with no loss of cutting ability yet. I've used them up to 150mm.
A screw worked loose and fell out of one of the joints but they are M4 so that was easily fixed with a brass conduit box screw.

I have the swa ones too they are bulletproof, well the ones made 15 years ago are anyway! I've had mine for that long used regularly up to 35mm 4core swa, have used them on bigger but they are a bit small for 50mm and it's hard work chomping it. I use them not every day but at least 3 days a week on average and apart from the odd tweek with a fine file they have been a godsend!

I think I might try the SWA ones, I was put off the £20 jobbies by one of my colleagues who said his blades had too much flex in them so didn't cut cleanly. I suppose it is the luck of the draw really. Thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Reply to Ratchet cable cutters recommendations, budget of around£100 in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net