Discuss RCBO instead of switchfuse for submain? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

Johnny-G

I haven't seen this job yet (going in morning) but apparently the customer's builder has found that the majority of cables for upstairs circuits have been pulled through past a metal joist and it's skinned a few of them, their re-wire about 10yrs ago was a complete shocker so I'm not surprised.
The builder reckons it will be easy enough to stick a new CU upstairs with the affected cables in and run a new main to it (about 6m), splitting the tails in to a henley.
Can I use an RCBO (prob 40a)after the henley and just a main switch & MCBs instead of a switchfuse if the new tails require RCD proctection

I don't know, I'm assuming that they're in the way of the work the builder is doing so they've got be moved anyway and it might be easier just pulling them back up than replacing the whole runs.

Buy a Wylex REC2 main switch. Throw away the main switch and fit your RCBO in it's place, a Wylex RCBO would be perfect for fit. Your tails will fit perfectly into the Wylex unit as they are designed as a DNO isolator to take tails.

Reply to RCBO instead of switchfuse for submain? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I'm planning a replacement for my existing domestic CU and would like to have it sanity checked before I get an electrician involved. The main...
Replies
Views
Long time lurker so this may be my first question. I am a qualified electrical engineer, but in aeronautics not domestic installations, and I may...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I’d appreciate your opinions here: I’m looking at an old (150 years+) stone house. Complete rewire and renovation. DNO fuse is...
Replies
Views
Beware a little long. I served an electrical apprenticeship a long time ago, then went back to full time education immediately moving away from...
Replies
Views
The bit where I cut to the chase is in bold below if you can't be bothered with the back story. Changing MCB in main house DB for garage supply...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock