Discuss RCBO required? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Ok shakin stevens, I reckon the neutrals of that ring circuit were connected into the rcbo, the rcbo neutral connected to the neutral bar like normal. but to keep that circuit in balance, volts, you took a fly lead from the rcbo to the rccb so that the phase and neutral would be of equal voltage within the rccb?

Shakin, I really do mean the '?'

First thought
Residual current devices, rated at 30mA, in order to comply with regulations must trip at between more than 50% of rated current and rated current (i.e. 16mA to 30mA).
With two residual current devices in series RCCB then RCBO the actual tripping current of the RCCB was less than that of the RCBO effectively giving negative earth fault discrimination.
With one final ring circuit for the whole house the total earth leakage then occasionally exceeded the tripping currect of the RCCB but not the RCBO. (washing machine, kettle, iron etc all on at once)

Am I close? :confused:

good try Tony, and my first thoughts were to do with culamative leakage currents, but.........

if that was the case, and the RCCB was tripping at say, 20mA culamtive, then the presence of the RCBO would have no effect either way on that.....and it hasnt happened since i moved the RCBO.......:rolleyes:

Ok shakin stevens, I reckon the neutrals of that ring circuit were connected into the rcbo, the rcbo neutral connected to the neutral bar like normal. but to keep that circuit in balance, volts, you took a fly lead from the rcbo to the rccb so that the phase and neutral would be of equal voltage within the rccb?

Shakin, I really do mean the '?'

Ha Ha Simon, it long has been estabilshed on the forum that my username has absolutely nowt to do with Shakin' Stevens:p

erm.....no

It was wired 'conventionally' - line conductor from switched side of main isolator to RCCB input, neutral from neutral bar to RCCB input. RCCB neutral output feeding RCCB neutral bar.

Line output busbar from RCCB feeding RCBO

Ring line conductors and ring neutral conductors connected to RCBO, RCBO neutral lead connected to RCCB protected neutral bar.

The ring, through the RCBO, was the only circuit connected off the RCCB

So theoretically then, ANY current flowing in the ring would have to flow in and out of the RCCB - so there should be no imbalance, so why was it tripping:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
sparkz,

if there was a fault that tripped the RCD, then obviously all the circuits protected by that RCD would cease to be live. If you add an RCBO on a different phase bar within the same consumer unit, that circuit fed from that RCBO would not be affected and thus stay live whilst the rest of the installation would have been cut off by the RCD. The obvious benefit in this case would then be that upstairs lights would still be operational as well as the fire alarm system when there is a fault on the RCD side.

It could just be a company policy that upstairs lights and fire alarm systems are protected seperatley?

;)

Thank you everyone....appreciate all your help especially "simonatlondon" o you a drink falla ;). Which reg's does this come under? so i can have a read.

Gonna take a wild stab in the dark here. We have an RCCB feeding an RCBO. The RCCB as a device has no connection to earth, where as an RCBO does through that little white wire.(am I getting warmer?) I actually dont know why this is, I always thought that an RCBO was an MCB and RCD all in one. Neither an RCD or MCB has an earth wire, so why does an RCBO ? There must be a reason. Whetever that reason, this is what the problem is. If I am wrong, I am open to being shot down in flames, but its all I can think of at the moment !

Just had another thought.........................................................................Er, no thats not it either !

It may have only taken two minutes to fix, but how long did it take you to suss out Shake ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonna take a wild stab in the dark here. We have an RCCB feeding an RCBO. The RCCB as a device has no connection to earth, where as an RCBO does through that little white wire.(am I getting warmer?) I actually dont know why this is, I always thought that an RCBO was an MCB and RCD all in one. Neither an RCD or MCB has an earth wire, so why does an RCBO ? There must be a reason. Whetever that reason, this is what the problem is. If I am wrong, I am open to being shot down in flames, but its all I can think of at the moment !

Just had another thought.........................................................................Er, no thats not it either !

It may have only taken two minutes to fix, but how long did it take you to suss out Shake ?

Hi Spud

how long to suss out, well about 4 or 5 seconds to be honest.

CU was in garage, opened the garage door, looked up at the CU, saw RCBO sitting next to the RCCB which was on the left of the CU with main isol on the right.

New INSTANTLY that the RCBO had to be coming off the RCCB, and thought very quickly, "well i bet that aint helping.......":rolleyes:

Oh and your theory, Spud

*dut dut dut dah dah* (that was a fanfare of trumpets)

*fireworks go off*

*everybody hugs*

you got it matey!

the little flylead on the RCBO is a functional earth, and the RCBO NEEDS it to be there to function/operate.

Therefore, some of the line current coming through the RCCB must be going through the line input of the RCBO and then being directed to earth through the flylead.

So the RCCB sees an imbalance. Why doesnt the RCBO trip?, well because the 'leakage' is from the RCBO input to earth, the RCBO has the same current flowing through the output as it has flowing back through the neutral, so it is happy

Well done matey, its certainly one to watch out for aint it?;)

ok mine was obvious, but with the 17th, you could well be getting RCBO's in sub-CU's coming off RCCB protected circuits

*Shakey claps the Spudmaster* (deliberate spelling mistake):)

Have just got in from work and was just about to post that answer - Honest. :D

Seriously though, another anomolie to remember. What is it they say, don't fix it if it ain't broken.

Cheers Shakey you got me thinking late into the night with that one.

Hi guys,

I enjoy this sort of thing - its easy to get around the 'what size bonding' type stuff, but its good to get the old cogs turning now and again

I remeber driving back from the job thinking "well i am sure i have sorted it, but i am buggered if i know how or why";)

and of course chaps, we will all remember it............:)

Shakey keep it coming, like you say, it keeps your cogs turning and puts mine into motion. Seriously though, its great to be pushed like that. I absaloutley love it....... apart from the last bit where I end up in a mental home depressed to hell, realising I know smoke all.

Thanks.

Reply to RCBO required? in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock