Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss RCD Protection for lighting within communal parts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

I'm due to start working in a building which houses lots of flats over 6 floors with 2 internal communal stairs. I'm due to replace 13 ceiling lights per floor/stairs from a halogen bulkhead to a ELD 17w LED microwave/emergency bulkhead.

Each floor is fed from a Square D B6 QOE MCB on a 3 Phase board.

Regulation 411.3.4 requires that all luminaries within domestic (household) premises are to have additional protection by a 30 mA RCD when installed in an AC final circuit. Note that the regulations refer specifically to "domestic (household) premises"

My question is, would you suggest that these bulkheads require RCD protection? I suppose its up to interpretation of the regulation, although they are within a domestic environment under Part P and the Building Regs would you suggest that the communal parts constitute a "domestic (household) premises".

The only RCBO's that I can find that are compatible are £60 a pop and ill need around 10 of them otherwise i'd just stick them in anyway.

SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
what he says ^^^^^.

D

Deleted member 26818

It’s the circuits which require RCD protection not the lights.
It’s the opposite to sockets.
If you were to extend or alter the wiring, then yes RCD protection would be required.

Bulk Workwear - Clothing Suppliers for the Whole Forum Network

Reply to RCD Protection for lighting within communal parts in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electrical2Go - Online Electrical Supplier
Top Bottom