Discuss RCD Trip - insulation problem from too much load? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I haven't read through this thread in detail, but I've seen that the immersion heater isn't working properly.
The lighting circuit fault could be a N - E fault (if I've skimmed that bit correctly), is on the same RCD as the immersion, and immersion heaters are prime candidates for having faults to earth.
Has anyone tried switching off the immersion heater at its double pole isolator.

Late to the party, but I too believe this problem is moisture getting into the external lights, or rodent damage?

Get the handyman neighbour to fix it for a price, as he’s going to be there days replacing bits and pieces with no guarantee of success.

Also, first picture of board, I see a plug top with a short length of flex just cut off.
Remove the flex from the plug for safety.

Good spot on the plug top and flex.

If you are having trouble convincing people that the next door guy is not the right person for the job,

ask if you will be provided with a minor works certificate (electrical safety check) to show that the fault is gone and the circuit is safe to energise and continue using.

I haven't read through this thread in detail, but I've seen that the immersion heater isn't working properly.
The lighting circuit fault could be a N - E fault (if I've skimmed that bit correctly), is on the same RCD as the immersion, and immersion heaters are prime candidates for having faults to earth.
Has anyone tried switching off the immersion heater at its double pole isolator.
The immersion heater problem was only mentioned three pages in, we are pulling teeth here.

Lay people don't understand the connection. If the RCD trips when the lights are turned on, then it must be the lights that are at fault in their minds. They think the immersion fault is just a coincidence.
I've had more than one late night 'phone call from customers over the years trying to explain the possibility of a connection between the two. "But the immersion heater is turned off" "Is it off at the ISOLATOR" "No, it's on a time switch, as isn't on now" "TURN IT OFF AT THE ISOLATOR" "Oh, the lights work now".

Reply to RCD Trip - insulation problem from too much load? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock