Discuss Recent past papers for 17th wiring regs course? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Morning all...

Managed to avoid taking the 17th for a couple of years but now have to take it!

I'm going to just do the exam only as I'm passing all the test papers but they are all related to the BRB, possibly earlier. Does anyone know (have some links) where I could find more recent past exam or test papers?

Thanks.

From your recent posts on here, I think you probably know your way around the regs book well enough to pass it easily.

If I remember it correctly its open book, so if you're passing the BRB version, you should be ok with the BYB version as you can double check any answers that you think may have changed.

This goes against common-sense & being helpful, but, you honestly don't need to revise in any way shape or form. Its an open book multiple choice pointless exam.

I assume you have tried the sparky facts website, not sure what date those are.

Yes, they are the ones I have been completing Richard. The few regulations that I have checked did not match up to the BGB. Still useful though as a site.

I'll try that one, thanks Lee.

This goes against common-sense & being helpful, but, you honestly don't need to revise in any way shape or form. Its an open book multiple choice pointless exam.

You may be right Mark, but I think at the very least it gives you a bit of confidence if you are passing them before going into the exam. Also, I know you have the book but that doesn't always help. It can seem like something a lawyer would use at times with tables of tables and figures of tables, chapters, sections, pages, notes, parts, appendices... It's not always that easy to find what you are looking for even though all the answers are there. I shall be using plenty of notes!

These are the ones I failed on (you can see I just do domestic!).

Lets see if you can find the answers Mark? There are 6 questions so you have 12 minutes to complete from when you log on and read this :)

21. To comply with BS 7671 a firefighter's switch should be
a. fixed 3.75m above the ground with the off position at the top
b. coloured red with the off position at the bottom
c. coloured red and be fixed 2.75m from the ground
d. fixed 2.75m from the ground with the off position at the bottom

22. A firefighter's emergency switch should be provided for
a. emergency lighting systems operating at low-voltage
b. interior low-voltage discharge lighting installations
c. exterior discharge lighting installations exceeding low-voltage
d. fire alarm circuits operating above low voltage

23. The three general characteristics of external influence are environment,utilisation and
a. the number and type of live conductors
b. construction of buildings
c. method of installation
d. the installation earthing arrangements

55. Electrical equipment installed above a swimming pool diving board should befixed at a height of not less than
a. 1.5m
b. 2.0m
c. 2.5m

d. 3.0m

56. The particular requirements for mobile or transportable units apply to
a. generating sets
b. mobile workshops
c. mobile machinery to BS EN 60204-1
d. traction equipment of electric vehicles

57. Construction site special regulations apply to
a. all site offices
b. earthworks
c. site canteens
d. site toilets

Yes, they are the ones I have been completing Richard. The few regulations that I have checked did not match up to the BGB. Still useful though as a site.

I'll try that one, thanks Lee.

You may be right Mark, but I think at the very least it gives you a bit of confidence if you are passing them before going into the exam. Also, I know you have the book but that doesn't always help. It can seem like something a lawyer would use at times with tables of tables and figures of tables, chapters, sections, pages, notes, parts, appendices... It's not always that easy to find what you are looking for even though all the answers are there. I shall be using plenty of notes!

These are the ones I failed on (you can see I just do domestic!).

Lets see if you can find the answers Mark? There are 6 questions so you have 12 minutes to complete from when you log on and read this :)

21. To comply with BS 7671 a firefighter's switch should be
a. fixed 3.75m above the ground with the off position at the top
b. coloured red with the off position at the bottom
c. coloured red and be fixed 2.75m from the ground
d. fixed 2.75m from the ground with the off position at the bottom
C
22. A firefighter's emergency switch should be provided for
a. emergency lighting systems operating at low-voltage
b. interior low-voltage discharge lighting installations
c. exterior discharge lighting installations exceeding low-voltage
d. fire alarm circuits operating above low voltage
C
23. The three general characteristics of external influence are environment,utilisation and
a. the number and type of live conductors
b. construction of buildings
c. method of installation
d. the installation earthing arrangements
B
55. Electrical equipment installed above a swimming pool diving board should befixed at a height of not less than
a. 1.5m
b. 2.0m
c. 2.5m
d. 3.0m
C
56. The general requirements for mobile or transportable units apply to
a. generating sets
b. mobile workshops
c. mobile machinery to BS EN 60204-1
d. traction equipment of electric vehicles
B
57. Construction site special regulations apply to
a. all site offices
b. earthworks
c. site canteens
d. site toilets
B

sorry HHD couldn't help myself lol

Last edited:
HHD .

I'll be completely honest here, the only answer i didn't know was 55. Everyday's a school day - now ill just wait for a diving board and i'll be able to pass on my expert knowledge :)

Question 55... Because we like our training to reflect real-world problems and solutions. I hope it was just put in there to prove that the candidate can look stuff up. I wish they would focus a little more on the essentials that so many so-called 'sparks' seem to have overlooked.

OK I logged on and thought I could answer them all straight off then I read Leesparkykents answers and found I had got 21 wrong, I have now looked them all up and concur with the above I would say about 5 minutes work.

TBH it was a bit of a punt lol, maybe HHD could confirm as he must have the answers.

Heres the answers for you:

21.C (537.6.3 (iii) & 537.6.4 (i) p122)
22.C (537.6.1 (i) p122)
23.B (Appendix 5 p318)
55.C (Fig 702.1 p175)
56.B (717.1 Scope … not applicable a (iii), c (v) & d (vii) p204)
57.B (704.1.1 (iv) p181)

Out of date regs unfortunately!

You a naughty boy HHD and not succumbed to the £80 robbery fee of the new book ?

I'm guessing those regs are from the BRB Mark. They are just copied from the ----------- website alongside the answers. Unfortunately I had my assessment just as the BYB was out so had to get it straight away!

so construction site regs apply only to earthworks? so why is the use of 240V tools banned elsewhere?

Reply to Recent past papers for 17th wiring regs course? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net