Discuss Recommendations for voltage tester with proving unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

I'm very happy with my Fluke T150, (I keep the continuity buzzer "on") and the aforementioned Megger MPU690. I try to discipline myself to prove dead "properly", especially as I get older...I just feel the need for a "ritual". It doesn't matter that it might be "slow" as I am never in a hurry and don't have to rush.
In my younger days the neon screwdriver was all I used, and the non-contact tester was a step forward! I was always cautious, and a bathroom light switched on the neutral made me aware of the inherent, lurking dangers...that was 30 years ago, and I've never forgotten it.

I'm very happy with my Fluke T150, (I keep the continuity buzzer "on") and the aforementioned Megger MPU690. I try to discipline myself to prove dead "properly", especially as I get older...I just feel the need for a "ritual". It doesn't matter that it might be "slow" as I am never in a hurry and don't have to rush.
In my younger days the neon screwdriver was all I used, and the non-contact tester was a step forward! I was always cautious, and a bathroom light switched on the neutral made me aware of the inherent, lurking dangers...that was 30 years ago, and I've never forgotten it.

I use a T90 as it does everything I currently need, but keep toying with the idea of taking a T150 from stock. Growing up it always fell on me to fix appliances/electrical issues around the home and proving dead was an alien concept, unless you really weren't certain about isolation of a particular circuit - on those occasions I'd dig out my father's trusty (but unused) 'phase tester' and grit my teeth.

Of late I've disciplined myself into proving dead, but any electrical work I do is on installations that I know inside out and find that old habits die hard. It's high time I redoubled my efforts to carry out this very basic check, given my intended change of career.

Speaking of old habits, I just had a flashback to my first driving lesson and the instructor's reaction when instinct placed my hand on the handbrake as we approached the first corner ?

Reply to Recommendations for voltage tester with proving unit in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net