Discuss RED error code on electricity meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all ,

We have moved in to a flat in which we have lived for 6 years now.
We have had a representative coming in to read the meter. We have had some issues with the bills where charges were in range of 300 pounds a month.
Service provider said that they will monitor situation.
Last months for the first time i have had a look at the meter to provide the reading and noticed the error. Read about it online and because I have no solar panels i got worried to be accused of fraud.
Previous people who were coming to read the meter have not reported anything. Neither me or my wife played with the meter.
What could be the issue with the meter ?
Thanks for any responses.

Thanks fir

So you have lived in the flat for 6 years ?
What typical monthly electricity usage have you had over that period ?
Roughly what size is the flat ?
Are the charges that you talk about based on actual readings ? or estimated ?
Why did you mention solar panels if you don't have any ?
Who has been reading your meter ? Which company were they from ?

it is 2 bed flat
about 50/60m2
Typical monthly charge is about £100 a month on average
charges were based on estimated readings as they have not had readings for some time now as no body has come to read and we have not thought about it.
I have mentioned solar panels as I have read online about this error and learnt that it is caused by reverse electricity discharge which is normal while solar panels are installed.
British Gas is the provider.

I have attached the picture of the meter.

Attachments

• Image 19-03-2020 at 13.10.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 49
Estimated readings are largely fiction... you might as well read Harry Potter as to use those... you MUST use actual readings.

It's easily worked out... provided you have some sort of known start reading... just work out how many kWh you have ACTUALLY used. Multiply this out by the rate, add on standing charge and 5% VAT... and you should have the REAL amount you should have paid. How does that compare ??

You really should move away from British Gas... I suspect you're paying far too much !

And lastly... do you have gas too ? I assume not, as £100 per month is ALOT... even if you are using it for heating. Do you have storage heaters ?

it is 2 bed flat
about 50/60m2
Typical monthly charge is about £100 a month on average
charges were based on estimated readings as they have not had readings for some time now as no body has come to read and we have not thought about it.
I have mentioned solar panels as I have read online about this error and learnt that it is caused by reverse electricity discharge which is normal while solar panels are installed.
British Gas is the provider.

I have attached the picture of the meter.

If that is a picture of your meter then the problem is that there are no cables connected to it.

Estimated readings are largely fiction... you might as well read Harry Potter as to use those... you MUST use actual readings.

It's easily worked out... provided you have some sort of known start reading... just work out how many kWh you have ACTUALLY used. Multiply this out by the rate, add on standing charge and 5% VAT... and you should have the REAL amount you should have paid. How does that compare ??

You really should move away from British Gas... I suspect you're paying far too much !

And lastly... do you have gas too ? I assume not, as £100 per month is ALOT... even if you are using it for heating. Do you have storage heaters ?

I £100 a months is on average for gas and electrics together.

3 years ago when they came in to read the meter they have changed my direct debit to 600 pounds a month due to meter reading, since then nobody came in to get the readings.
They have sent an engineer to change the meter, but he came with gas meter...
also he said that if we were to change the meter and there was something wrong with it we would have no leg to stand on.

I am only concerned now that they will accuse me of tampering with meter due to RED message on meter.

Just wanted to understand whether someone else had a similar problem.
never did shy away from paying bills but want to pay for something I owe.

RED usually means redirect, but as you say there are no solar panels, it’s a mystery.

Can we get a photograph of your actual meter? With fuseboard and any suppliers cable you can see. From that we can probably advise much better.

RED is the code for reverse energy detected and is a feature to show if the meter has been connected backwards . It will also occur on PV systems when energy is being fed back into the grid .

I suspect if there have been no readings for a while and you are new to the flat ,you are paying for the previous occupiers usage . £100 per month on leccy is well steep, unless you are in the cultivation business

Sorry mate, but can you show a photo where the other end of the cables go to from the meter? One way will go to the supply cable/main fuse, the other to your distribution board, possibly via a big red switch.

I think the grey cables HAVE to go to the dis board. The red and black coming from the supply are in the right place, so it’s not, as some thought, the meter connected back to front

You could try switching off the power at your consumer unit (fuse box, big red switch normally) and then check to see if it still indicates a reverse flow on the meter. If it does I would request a meter change from your supplier.

The solid conductor helps a lot, and the high CCC of MI. There should of course be a lid over those MICC wires that is now missing.

Reply to RED error code on electricity meter in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net