Discuss registering and c/u change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mikey12

Hi all need help could someone please advise me as im soon going to register with governing body like to do my homework first ive got c/u change lined up for my major job to be inspected what im not sure about is do i inform local building control before commencing this or do i change c/u and just contact governing body when complete to register as my assesment job also am i right in saying that if i install a split board c/u 100a main switch with 2 rcds 30ma protecting all circuits and single rcbo on smokes if connected to c/u and a seperate main switch is this permitted according to 17th regs i may not have got all this right so please feel free to correct me:D

Last edited by a moderator:
The ideal way is to register the job with building control and then once you have regestered with a body sign it off....this is certainly necessary if first fix is to be inspected by them. I have however come across cases where purely CU changes have been used for inspection that the building control have not been informed.....i would contact your prospective provider

you have 30 days from the completion of the job to notify your local authority, do the job 2 weeks before your assessment, this will give you time to sort any issues with the installation, then once you have passed your assessment just notify your governing body and they will do the rest.

Hi all need help could someone please advise me as im soon going to register with governing body like to do my homework first ive got c/u change lined up for my major job to be inspected what im not sure about is do i inform local building control before commencing this or do i change c/u and just contact governing body when complete to register as my assesment job also am i right in saying that if i install a split board c/u 100a main switch with 2 rcds 30ma protecting all circuits and single rcbo on smokes if connected to c/u and a seperate main switch is this permitted according to 17th regs i may not have got all this right so please feel free to correct me:D

100a main switch is fine to protect all the board. 2 off RCD's also Ok to split up your circuits, and a seperate RCBO for your smokes is also good. I use Wylex dual split load set up, this also has a spare way between the Main switch and the first RCD so you can put your RCBO in.

i used a CU for one of my assessments a year or two back. Make sure all entry cable entrys not used are sealed up. make sure all the outer insulation goes into the CU. Make sure your terminations in the MCB's are fully into the terminals no copper showing. same with the neutrals on the neutral bars, and make sure your earth sleeving is also covering all exposed copper. I got caught out when he inspected mine as the live tail insulation had split due to me bending it into the main switch terminal, only a small split about 5mm long but he saw it and i didnt,just had to remake it.Finally put all the correct warning notices on.

Cheers.........Howard

just out of interest has anyone been picked up on changing a CU without notifying the DNO to de-energize the supply. i mean if you did do a CU change as an assesment has the assessor ever picked you up on the seals being cut, ahem 'cut already when i found them', who dunnit scenario. do they expect you to arrange this with the DNO and see either some kind of reconnection cert from them and new seals been put on?

would you even say to an assessor if he asks

'how did you connect those live tails back up?'

'oh i just cut the seals and pulled the main fuse?'

whats the procedure here?

sorry to mr original post by the way, i'm not trying to put the willies up yer:eek: just one of those out of interest questions.

i think its a case of contatcing the dno and asking them replace the fuse with a breaker before work is carried out or asking them to pull the fuse for you as its illegal to tamper with the fuse

someone will correct me if im wrong tho

you have 30 days from the completion of the job to notify your local authority, do the job 2 weeks before your assessment, this will give you time to sort any issues with the installation, then once you have passed your assessment just notify your governing body and they will do the rest.
depnding on scheme you may get marked down for taking this approach as the process is clear cut :p

if you ARENT registered notify labc BEFORE any works are started and pay their fee

if you ARE registered you have 30 days to notify your scheme of the works, although nic advise 25 days max ;)

I my area, as a sparks, they will send you some blue tags to insert after you have pulled a fuse. They will send you a bundle of them if you ask. I assume its the same everywhere ? I managed to ambush a SSEP van the other day and he had none on the van, got a bundle of warning stickers though !(cost me a smoke ).

Reply to registering and c/u change in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock