Discuss regs for a flat (help needed) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

leekemp85

hi to everyone
I own a old shop, around 15 years ago i had them rewired and seperated it into three flats. one of the tennents has moved out now.
please could anyone give me advise about new regs with old flats
i am unsure if it needs a fan in the bathroom, (it does have opening windows) smoke alarms (if needed would they need to be interlinked) and emergency lights

i would guess that new flats would require all of these but unsure about old properties

many thanks

First off are there any communal areas (e.g. entrance, corridors landings etc used by more than one of the flats)? Secondly, is the property registered with the local authority as they may have requirements in addition to the wiring regulations.

there are no communal areas, they are regestered with the council as individual properties (all of the flats have there own addresses. A,B,C)

Dont u need to have an electrical test now on the change of each tenant?? -Think its a periodic inspection (dont quote me) im sure another more experienced user here will correct me.

If so this will highlight any problems with the installation -rather than have stuff done that may only be something minor!

Not much help - but if im right may be of help

Dont u need to have an electrical test now on the change of each tenant?? -Think its a periodic inspection (dont quote me) im sure another more experienced user here will correct me.

If so this will highlight any problems with the installation -rather than have stuff done that may only be something minor!

Not much help - but if im right may be of help

The Periodic Inspection on the change of occupancy is only a recomendation! However some insurance companies may insist that one is carried out inorder for the policy to be valid.

As someone who has had dealings with rental accomodation (on both sides of the coin) my recomendation would be to have the Periodic carried - if for no other reason than 'peace of mind'

thanks for your help
i was an electrician many years ago so not really up to date with the new regs i was going to do the work my self (probley will be easyer to get a PI done)

many thanks

Reply to regs for a flat (help needed) in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock