Discuss Relocation of Consumer Unit CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

jayc86

DIY
Reaction score
Hi,

Just after a little advice really - i am currently undertaking a complete home renovation.

I have a really ugly looking Plastic CU on the wall as soon as you walk in the house which I am looking to relocate ideally under the stairs

There is a single rated meter installed inside the Electric Box within an enclose brick building attached to the property - see the picture.

I have purchased a Wylex Switch Fuse which i understand if this is installed cable from the switch fuse can then route to the new CU which is a Schnider Easy 9.

The intended route of the cables from the switch fuse is through the joists what cable is suited for the run through the joists?

Also can the S/Fuse be installed within the Meter cabinet?

Relocation of Consumer Unit CU IMG_1149 - EletriciansForums.net

install switch/fuse in cabinet if there is room. if your DNO fuse is 100A, fit a 80A in your switch.fuse. then SWA to CU.16mm should be OK< but you can go to 25mm. you could alternatively fit the CU above the meter cabinet, rather than under stairs.

Why don’t you put the consumers unit in the broom cupboard above the meter ?

My old house had it like that

Now would be a great time to get a spark involved in the project.
Find one you get on with, they will be a valuable asset to the renovation project by ensuring you don’t forget to put wires to certain places etc. Before the walls are plastered or painted.
Many will be happy to offload plenty of the cable pulling and labouring to yourself if that is what you intend to do.
It is likely that the work will need to be notified to building control and they will be able to sort that with no problems on your behalf.

There is nothing worse than being called in at the end of a renovation to “connect up” and have to inform the client that it can’t be done because of cable spec, routes, missing cables etc.

As a diyer, are you aiming to do this work yourself ?

No as the previous post i am on purchasing everything for the job in advance of a spark coming in and terminating the ends up so in theory less pulling wire work for the spark and more simple job of terminating ends and testing.

The exterior broom cupboard idea sounds like a neat one the cable route for the T&E should this come directly across from the top down in some trunking to the CU?

As at the moment the supply from the electric meter goes through the bottom of the electric cabinet and then what appears to go up the wall?

As a diyer, are you aiming to do this work yourself ?

You will need the electrician to specify the type/size of cable to run though.

You will need the electrician to specify the type/size of cable to run though.
Yes understood just trying to fundamentally understand the routes the entries etc. Then in my head i can propose the idea to the electrician and see if that all makes sense to him.

Route the cables via the path of least resistance

IF you can get all the cabling easily back to the broom cupboard then that is 100% where I would put the consumers unit

The cables can be clipped direct , run in some flexi where they come down or even use some big old box trunking what ever looks neat really

I would not want my CU placed outside. If anything trips, you might have to go outside on a dark wet windy night, in the middle of winter to reset it :eek:

I am thinking more from a installation point of view I guess...

I personally hate fuse boards at the foot of the under stairs cupboard buried in boots , bags , shoes and coats

Current regs kinda dictate where boards should be placed. Adequate working space and all that.
Under the stairs is not ideal. Neither is high up on a wall where you need stepladders to access.

I am thinking more from a installation point of view I guess...

I personally hate fuse boards at the foot of the under stairs cupboard buried in boots , bags , shoes and coats

I too hate them under stairs, or under kitchen sinks as I found one a while back. I think the OP should allocate a room specifically for his CU :)

I too hate them under stairs, or under kitchen sinks as I found one a while back. I think the OP should allocate a room specifically for his CU :)

Or just as bad when they are completely boxed in with painted & glued MDF with a little hatch just made bigger enough to squeeze your fingers through to reset an mcb

Getting the lid off is completely impossible without removing all the boxing

I would not want my CU placed outside. If anything trips, you might have to go outside on a dark wet windy night, in the middle of winter to reset it :eek:
wimp. :p :dizzy:. 3 words. wimp,wimp,wimp.

OK so the broom cupboard is now the new location looks great in there tidy in there

The cables coming from the house into the CU can i use flexible black conduit and the appropriate glands into the top of the consumer unit?

I assume if i feed the meter tails in via the rear entry knockout and use the grommit strip to protect the harsher edges of the knockout this would be ok?

OK so the broom cupboard is now the new location looks great in there tidy in there

The cables coming from the house into the CU can i use flexible black conduit and the appropriate glands into the top of the consumer unit?

I assume if i feed the meter tails in via the rear entry knockout and use the grommit strip to protect the harsher edges of the knockout this would be ok?

I can't imagine any self respecting electrician being happy to install it that way, you really should discuss this with the electrician who will be doing the work before you order any materials.

Also be aware most of us will charge more for using materials supplied by a customer as they rarely supply exactly what we need.

You could use flexi conduit for the job but I think in a broom cupboard who might be better using a big piece of trunking or even box everything in after its all finished.
Some MDF boxing that is made up well would look neat and tidy,.

Reply to Relocation of Consumer Unit CU in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock