• Welcome to the new forum. We're now hosted on ElectriciansForums.net rather than ElectriciansForums.co.uk - Chat about the forum upgrade by CLICKING HERE

Welcome to our Electrical Forum - We started out providing electrical advice just for the UK - But now we have specific advice for the USA too! - Register for free and share American Electrical Advice.

Discuss Removing socket outlets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Bobby34

Regular EF Member
Hi guys and girls,

A client is moving their kitchen into another room that currently has a few sockets in it.

The sockets are currently on a ring final circuit that covers every socket in the house.

They've asked me to add sockets for the new kitchen so I am going to run a new kitchen circuit most of which can be done in trunking as it will be behind the units going in.

My question is am I able to replace the faceplates of the old sockets not being used/covered with a blanking plate and use maintenance free wago's inside so the ring for the rest of the house is not affected? (3 sockets I think that will end up behind units)

Thanks in advance

richy3333

Forum Mentor
Yes if the wagos are rated appropriately. Your proposed solution would not be Maintainence Free so would need reasonable access for future I&T. Why not just remove the S/O’s and crimp and over-sleeve?

telectrix

Scouser and Proud of It
Respected Member
i would use the ideal in line splice connectors or push fit wagos. unless you are a builder, then choc block and ... plaster over.

Bobby34

Regular EF Member
I was looking at those inline splice, but wasn't sure which was better between them and the wago's, so would it be acceptable then to remove the S/O, use those inline splice, oversleeve and then patch up?

littlespark

Electrician's Arms
Can the sockets not be utilised for under unit or kickboard lighting?
Marked accordingly so they know what isolates what

Baddegg

Still simmering Ken, not boiled yet buddy x
Electrician's Arms
If they not gonna be accessible I’d crimp and shrink em, trouble with wagos is they don’t class as MF if not in a wago box....not sure about the insure splice but won’t be to hard to check

Baddegg

Electrician's Arms
When they not in a wago box,always happy to be corrected but I’m sure that’s what I’ve read on wago website

Bobby34

Regular EF Member
When they not in a wago box,always happy to be corrected but I’m sure that’s what I’ve read on wago website
I never realised that, always thought the connectors were maintenance free regardless of what enclosure they were in, every days a school day as they say

simpson93

Regular EF Member
Rather then the mf aspect, those cables will still be chased into the walls?

If so the connections will need to be accessible to create the zones

Reactions: DPG

Baddegg

Electrician's Arms
I never realised that, always thought the connectors were maintenance free regardless of what enclosure they were in, every days a school day as they say
In the real world I doubt it makes much difference but then wago wouldn’t be able to sell they boxes......their ball their rules I spose :)

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
Electrical 2 Go - Electrical Supplier and Electrical Wholesalers
Electrical Insurance
ElectriciansForums.net (formerly known as ElectriciansForums.co.uk) was setup in April 2006 to provide free electrical advice to both professional and DIY electricians. Whether seeking advice for auto electrics, trying to find electrical installation condition reports (EICR) form downloads, or whether you're here just to talk to other electricians; we've been a first-choice website for tens of thousands of sparkies for well over a decade.