Discuss Removing socket outlets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys and girls,

A client is moving their kitchen into another room that currently has a few sockets in it.

The sockets are currently on a ring final circuit that covers every socket in the house.

They've asked me to add sockets for the new kitchen so I am going to run a new kitchen circuit most of which can be done in trunking as it will be behind the units going in.

My question is am I able to replace the faceplates of the old sockets not being used/covered with a blanking plate and use maintenance free wago's inside so the ring for the rest of the house is not affected? (3 sockets I think that will end up behind units)

Thanks in advance

Yes if the wagos are rated appropriately. Your proposed solution would not be Maintainence Free so would need reasonable access for future I&T. Why not just remove the S/O’s and crimp and over-sleeve?

I was looking at those inline splice, but wasn't sure which was better between them and the wago's, so would it be acceptable then to remove the S/O, use those inline splice, oversleeve and then patch up?

If they not gonna be accessible I’d crimp and shrink em, trouble with wagos is they don’t class as MF if not in a wago box....not sure about the insure splice but won’t be to hard to check

I was looking at those inline splice, but wasn't sure which was better between them and the wago's, so would it be acceptable then to remove the S/O, use those inline splice, oversleeve and then patch up?
No

If the new layout allows, I would leave the sockets in place and cut access holes in the rear of the cupboards..... or if the cables come from below, get them out of the wall and use Hager MF boxes ........

I would access the cables above these sockets in the ceiling. I would access from below as there's a pretty good chance some plastering must be going on so the small holes you make in the ceiling can be filled. I would then join the cables in a MF wago and leave in the ceiling.

I doubt the old sockets will be in an ideal place behind the new cupboards, also I doubt that the owner will want big holes cut in them simple so he can see a blanking plate in order to create the needed electrical zone. The kitchen fitter will end up just covering them up with the cabinets and then there will be live cables hidden in the walls.

Reply to Removing socket outlets in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock