Discuss Removing socket outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If the new layout allows, I would leave the sockets in place and cut access holes in the rear of the cupboards..... or if the cables come from below, get them out of the wall and use Hager MF boxes ........
I'd love to try and explain that to a customer - yes Mam I know your kitchen cost over £20k, but it was easier for us to put the big holes in the back of the units rather than remove the sockets properly.

So can i just confirm, if I use a crimp and shrink or inline splice and then put a blanking plate then it will be classed as MF? I don't want to cut holes etc in cupboards the ring main could do with having a few less sockets on it as it is haha.

Hi guys and girls,

A client is moving their kitchen into another room that currently has a few sockets in it.

The sockets are currently on a ring final circuit that covers every socket in the house.

They've asked me to add sockets for the new kitchen so I am going to run a new kitchen circuit most of which can be done in trunking as it will be behind the units going in.

My question is am I able to replace the faceplates of the old sockets not being used/covered with a blanking plate and use maintenance free wago's inside so the ring for the rest of the house is not affected? (3 sockets I think that will end up behind units)

Thanks in advance
If you can get access to the leg in and leg out under the floor, I think it' be a better job to cut out the old sockets and link the old legs under the floor in MF boxes.

A row of blanking plates on the wall is going to look ugly and it's only a matter of time until someone removes them and skims over.

Then you'll have live cables in the wall with no obvious route indicators.

Try to go d the legs and do it properly, all in my humble opinion of course.

Split ring remove Surplus sockets join back up with wago’s and wago box under cabinets behind plinths ! Just remember to try and leave enough slack to make it easy in the future to check em.

Split ring remove Surplus sockets join back up with wago’s and wago box under cabinets behind plinths ! Just remember to try and leave enough slack to make it easy in the future to check em.
Why check them if they are MF?

Not all Wago boxes are MF. The box used must be stamped with the MF symbol. The smaller boxes are not. I have no idea why this is the case, but it is.

The larger boxes have cradles for the connectors but the small ones don't, is a possible reason ? Not sure.

Not seen the small units before, but do they offer cable restraints? This is one of the main factors in a MF connection.

They have the rubber fins on cable entry to hold the cable sheath firm like the larger box, but not the moulded plastic "stalls" that the connectors live inside.
The smaller boxes are a through box with cable entry each of the short ends rather than the one end.

They have the rubber fins on cable entry to hold the cable sheath firm like the larger box, but not the moulded plastic "stalls" that the connectors live inside.
The smaller boxes are a through box with cable entry each of the short ends rather than the one end.
For lighting circuits I believe, never used em though....

time you bought the wago box, wagos, earth sleeved the cpc's, closed box with pipe grips, better off paying £4 for the quickwire solution.

time you bought the wago box, wagos, earth sleeved the cpc's, closed box with pipe grips, better off paying £4 for the quickwire solution.

Love the quickwire push in system, but I find wagos in boxes better to keep as they are completely flexible in the connection configuration. Quickwire only do one specific job.

Reply to Removing socket outlets in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net