Discuss Rented property, TT system, No RCD. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Over 2 years ago a friend rented a house, After a brief look, the dangers were apparent. At the mains a TT system with small bonding cables, and no RCD just a Henley block fitted where the is a shadow mark the size of an old voltage operated trip, then rewireable fuses. Round the house every fixed socket had a "fixed" extension lead one of which fed a 3kw bar fire, which a year later the plug overheated luckily spotted glowing red as the lights where turned off for bed. Another of these leads fed a second 1.5mm extension lead strung through a bedroom wall to a garage approx 4m away, there it Feds 2 double sockets and two fluo's. Wired in twin with crimps that are not even taped. The lighting wiring had no earth most of the fittings are metal as are some of the switches.
I spoke and wrote to the agents about this(and other matters)a few times over the year and a half she lived there with 3 kids, they never acted telling me they did not need a test certificate. She fell behind with rent making it difficult to pursue, she moved when they ended her lease about a year ago. At that time as I was speaking to one of the agents I again informed her that speaking as an electritian this property is dangerous in the strongest terms.
Today I bumped in to the present tenant, and the property is in exactly the same state.
So what can be done. What powers or laws are there. It's now none of my business but if something happened I would feel guilt. Anybody got any ideas.
Thanks Paul

No laws I'm afraid. But if the worse happens the landlord is in for a world of hurt.

Landlords have to provide a safe dwelling. So to do that periodics need to be done.

It's up to the present tenant to pursue the safety issue with the agent/owner of this rented property not you. All you can do is provide the present tenant with an assessment via a PIR (or whatever they call them now)....

Reply to Rented property, TT system, No RCD. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net