Discuss Replacement Consumer Unit Manufactuers Pros & Cons in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Midwest

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I would like your opinions of different makes of CU's. I'm converting my garage to a habitable room, Cinema room to be precise. The CU will remain in the garage, albeit moved slightly. The current one is a Hager dual RCD. However, the RCD is type AC and I would like to change to RCBO's. I'm also thinking of using their Design 50, and having the lid painted a RAL colour, but not sure of the costs of that. So potentially could end up with another make.

So I'm after a new CU, RCBO populated (DP or Sw N), SPD but not AFDD's. Having not been installing them for a couple of years, whats the favourites out there?

Massive fan of HAGAR tbh. The OCDs choice if youre a bit that way - I've found they're one of the only manufacturers where you can torque up the busbars without all the mcbs twisting slightly. And they dont change their mcb subcontractor every year for a cheaper one so you can add devices without it ending up looking like a bodgeup of spare parts. Plus they can make terminal screws that properly and securely fit a commercially available screwdriver (I keep my worn out PZ2 in my toolbox just so I don't ruin my good one when working on wylex kit) Plus the new short RCBOs are great, no earth flylead to worry about, plus they can be hot swapped without removing the busbar.

Even the comprehensive sticky label sheet is the best. hardly use my label printer these days.

Hager where budget allows on domestic jobs. That said the price I get on steeple/ lewden stuff even with the horrid rectangle knockouts means I often fit a load of them.
Especially small 2 or 4 ways when doing EV installs as the Type A rcbos are well priced at under £15 a pop.
Any new 3 phase stuff I would always look at Hager first.

Looks like Hager then. My last CU change was a Hager, but I can't recall how I spec' it. I used to install a lot of (slanting) MK CU's, which came prepopulated, RCBO's or dual RCD etc.

Do Hager do prepopulated CU's? Need SPD as well.

I dont think there is anything better looking than Design 50. I've work with BG, Wylex, Axiom, Ced, MK and Contactum in the past and for me Contactum is the best overall for quality and price combine. Plenty space, very sturdy, you can have a lock, full blanks. Also attractive price, rcbo's around 16quid, spd kit around 40. Been fitting them for few years now and so far no problems. IMHO if i have a choice i would spend extra money on your setup rather than on consumer unit - what is going to be anyways? Are you planning to soundproof the garage as well?

I dont think there is anything better looking than Design 50. I've work with BG, Wylex, Axiom, Ced, MK and Contactum in the past and for me Contactum is the best overall for quality and price combine. Plenty space, very sturdy, you can have a lock, full blanks. Also attractive price, rcbo's around 16quid, spd kit around 40. Been fitting them for few years now and so far no problems. IMHO if i have a choice i would spend extra money on your setup rather than on consumer unit - what is going to be anyways? Are you planning to soundproof the garage as well?

Keeping some of the garage for storage, but most of it will be converted. Definitely adding sound proofing.

I favour contactum, we used them when I was an apprentice and I've always preferred them since then, even for the rare occasions I touch domestic work now.

I've never liked Hager,
[automerge]1591553391[/automerge]
Any new 3 phase stuff I would always look at Hager first.

I wouldn't touch Hager, for three phase it's got to be Schneider's Acti9 PoN. If nothing else then the RCBO's having plug in neutral and earth instead of flyleads are a clear winner.

Hmmmmm, I asked the question of my LBC of me doing notifiable work in my conversion. Asked to send in my last scheme assessment. They had a chit chat about it, and the decision was I need to get my new work, EICR’d by a Part P registered sparks. :)

I wonder where you’re going to find one of them? If only you had access to some online list of sparks that could do you a favour....

;)
‘Tis a bit of nonsense; they did seem optimistic at first, that I could carry out the work and notify them, after supplying a copy of my last assessment, to verify my qualifications. Seems they’ve changed their minds. I could remind them that an EICR is a condition report, not a certificate for new circuits etc. But I think I might complicate things for myself. I know a couple of sparks that might do an ‘EICR’ for me.

I would like your opinions of different makes of CU's. I'm converting my garage to a habitable room, Cinema room to be precise. The CU will remain in the garage, albeit moved slightly. The current one is a Hager dual RCD. However, the RCD is type AC and I would like to change to RCBO's. I'm also thinking of using their Design 50, and having the lid painted a RAL colour, but not sure of the costs of that. So potentially could end up with another make.

So I'm after a new CU, RCBO populated (DP or Sw N), SPD but not AFDD's. Having not been installing them for a couple of years, whats the favourites out there?

Hager, in my opinion no better than most others. I think there’s some sort of Hager snobbery that maintains the boards are so good - quotes like oooh so much space and Ooooh a little spirit level and I fell for it too because that’s what everyone says /thinks. I’ve fitted around 20 boards this year and started off with a few Hager now only fit CP FUSEBOX RCBO [type As ] good price point decent quality . would never fit a dual board. If hager were so good why did they sell those crap boards with the shitty bit of foam to cover the gouged out squares pretending to make the top surface IP4X ffs?View attachment 58810View attachment 58810

Attachments

• AD2E974E-404E-494B-BBA7-F3888835DC6A.jpeg
    238.9 KB · Views: 27

Reply to Replacement Consumer Unit Manufactuers Pros & Cons in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net