Discuss Replacement shunt-wound motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

pc1966

Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
We have some shunt-wound DC motors that are used are servos (so operate over a big speed range and in all 4 quadrants, motor and generator both directions) and one of them (0.25kW) has gone "lumpy". My suspicion is the armatures has some open winding(s) so the speed/voltage profile changes as it rotates, hence the fight with the motor drive and judder.

Anyway the issue is small DC motors such as this are rare now but we really just want to replace it like-for-like and not redesign anything. Getting it rewound is an option, but I think it has had work before and might not survive surgery.

Any suggestions of where we could get a replacement motor?

Attaching the name plates for more info. It was originally supplied with a fail-safe brake powered from the 180V field winding and a 13:1 reduction gearbox.

TL;DR - where to get old DC motor type

Attachments

• motor-name-plate.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 9
  • gearbox-name-plate.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 9
Look up a company called “motor pumps gearboxes”
They are in coventry and will sort you a price for both replacements or rewind.

We had good service from Westin in Huddersfield.

Thanks for those suggestions, I will contact them to see what can be done.

We don't really care about the field winding so a permanent magnet replacement would be fine, but we would need the fail-safe brake to be operated from that supply. Main thing is it works OK with the thyristor bridge style of motor controller and fits the overall power / size envelope.

Will let you all know how we get on.

Reply to Replacement shunt-wound motor in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net