Discuss Replacing 12v MR16 (not IP rated) with GU10 IP65 rated downlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I have to replace bath and shower downlights to IP rated. I thought they were GU10 so bought the GU10 fitment and bulbs. I fitted it and it did not work ? I then found out the original fitment is MR16 12v. Please can someone tell me if I need to buy IP rated MR16 downlights and LED MR16 bulbs OR can I continue with the GU10s - please let me know what best to do. Thanks

If all parts of the lamps are 2.25m or more from the floor, then, although it is preferable that they are IP rated, they are not required to be.
To answer your original question, it depends on whether the original lights were wired with remote 12 volt transformers, serving more than one light, or whether they were wired with individual transformers for each light. Remove a fitting from the ceiling, pull very gently on the wire attached to it, and see if a transformer falls out of the hole. If so, the old light and transformer can be discarded, and the cable that was attached to the transformer can feed the new lamp, if it's long enough, following the manufacturer's instructions.

If all parts of the lamps are 2.25m or more from the floor, then, although it is preferable that they are IP rated, they are not required to be.
To answer your original question, it depends on whether the original lights were wired with remote 12 volt transformers, serving more than one light, or whether they were wired with individual transformers for each light. Remove a fitting from the ceiling, pull very gently on the wire attached to it, and see if a transformer falls out of the hole. If so, the old light and transformer can be discarded, and the cable that was attached to the transformer can feed the new lamp, if it's long enough, following the manufacturer's instructions.
Thanks a lot for this. We will go and have a look tomo and hopefully it will just be a transformer at each light and we'll be ok. The EICR failed on these alone so wew have to get them done but I will check that height. Thank you.

Failed on : 8.6 Suitability of equipment for external influences for installed location in terms of IP rating: C2

(4.4 Consumer unit made from combustible materials​
) (C3 )​
(Consumer unit )​
(4.17Absence of RCD in 7 final circuits​
) (C3 )​
(Consumer unit )​
(8.1 a)Absence of RCD in lighting circuit​
) (C3 )​
(Consumer unit )​
(8.6 Light not suitable for location​
) (C2 )​
(Bathroom )​
(4.17Absence of RCD in 7 final circuits​
) (C3 )​
(Consumer unit )​
Immediate action required for items: ( N/A Urgent remedial action required for items: ( 4​

Reply to Replacing 12v MR16 (not IP rated) with GU10 IP65 rated downlights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net