Discuss Replacing a consumer unit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

J

Johnocd

Hello all,

A bit or a lot of advice would not go a miss on this little nugget.

I have recently become self employed as an electrician. The NICEIC application is winging it's way to me right now (obviously not before the bunsen has been charged). I have the assessment to contend with. I am totally green as far as this is concerned. There are 2 of us involved and decided to go down the NICEIC route.

During telephone conversation with sales person, I elected for the consumer unit assessment, and then a socket at fellow self employed persons abode. I have no problem changing the consumer unit from a practical sense, but as far as the NIC is concerned could you please give me all the advice you find applicable to my situation.

While I can hear people having a bout of Tourrettes at seeing the NICEIC acronym in front of them, a little piece of enlightenment wouldn't go a miss on what I should expect from said organization.

Regards

JOC

Well firstly make sure the cu meets IP4x sure as eggs is eggs he/she will check it (did on my last 2 assessments)
If TT arrangement on the incommer cu setup as 100mA s type rcd up front & 30mA rcd for sso's.
Make sure the conductors are in number order on earth / neutral terminals in relation to ocpd (should be anyway but they do check, did on my assessment last year).
Ensure labels are present & correct & not forgetting circuit schedule, You can buy self adhesive ones of NICEIC, but I just do an excel doc then laminate it & stick some double sided tape on the back & fix near cu.
You'll most likely be asked to test PSCC/PFC & Ze (they've never failed to ask for that yet).

Got to go out for half hour so if you want more say & i'll post later

Cheers for that easyfox.

I know that they are not there to hinder (apparently) but don't want to look like a numpty!

So am I correct in saying that I can crack on and install a board and get this socket at other address done before they attend? Any info you can think off will be useful.

JOC

So am I correct in saying that I can crack on and install a board and get this socket at other address done before they attend?

You'll have to, they only want to see completed work. Dont forget it's notifiable work (CU change), so you will need to inform LABC & pay their fee.

don't want to look like a numpty!

If you take it steady ask questions of the assessor, know what you are doing when testing & know what the results mean & have completed the work to comply with BS7671 then you'll have nothing to worry about.
Remember you wont be asked anything that isnt in the regs in one form or another.

Things you'll need for the assessment:
(1) Documents; part P doc / BS7671 / EAWR / osg
(2)Test equipment / calbration certs / your own system for checking accuracy of test equipment
(3) Install certs, those that you have issued & unused certs.
(4) proof of public liability insurance to the value of £2 million
(5) list of electrical work completed & certs issued.
(6) complaints log, even if you havent had any complaints
(7) Health & safety policy
(8) cup of tea.

Possible questions:
You'll be asked about the earthing arrangements of both properties.
For the socket:
You'll be asked about max dissconection time allowed. Be asked to test or explain the test for R1+R2. Asked to test Zs & rcd.

For the cu:
Main thing is you'll be checked for safe isolation, do it wrong & he'll fail you there & then.
Remember, check on known live source, isolate & check dead, check on known live source again (use the meter side of cu main switch for known live source if you dont have a prooving unit).
Be slow & methodical about the testing & I find it better to give a running comentry on what I'm doing (keeps him informed & reminds me whats next;))
Like I said dont be afraid to ask questions or his preffered method of doing things..IR test would they be ok with P/N - E or do they want it done P-E , N-E , P-N ( we all know that it should be the former but it show you know either can be done under some instances)

Sorry if some of the above is like sucking eggs for you but I thought others may get some benefit if I posted all I could remember.

Anyway must go & swot up on the regs 2382-20 comming up soon + assessment with Mr NIC next month. Boy did that ever come round quick again :eek:

IR test would they be ok with P/N - E or do they want it done P-E , N-E , P-N ( we all know that it should be the former but it show you know either can be done under some instances)

And the mistake is?????????????????

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Replacing a consumer unit. in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock