Discuss Replacing ceiling lamp holder - which wire goes where? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

I've got a knackered ceiling lamp holder I want to change. It's the type with no flex - the lamp holder is directly on the ceiling mount. But the new one I want to put in will be rose-flex-lamp holder.

There are no markings on the old one I'm replacing. So what's the easiest way to work out which wire goes where on the new rose? Do I need to trace back to see which is the mains supply and which is the light switch? Or is there a standard layout or some other way to tell? It's a two way light, and had two reds and one black wire connected.

Cheers

IMG_4894.JPG

Hi all

I've got a knackered ceiling lamp holder I want to change. It's the type with no flex - the lamp holder is directly on the ceiling mount. But the new one I want to put in will be rose-flex-lamp holder.

There are no markings on the old one I'm replacing. So what's the easiest way to work out which wire goes where on the new rose? Do I need to trace back to see which is the mains supply and which is the light switch? Or is there a standard layout or some other way to tell? It's a two way light, and had two reds and one black wire connected.

Cheers

View attachment 49727
So how were they connected were the two reds in the same terminal and the black on its own

Looks like the old fitting has 3 terminals. (A loop in?)

Does the new one only have 2? If it’s a bayonet cap lamp socket, it doesn’t matter which way round if the terminals are not marked.

I’m not quite understanding where the 2 reds are going? Is there a second light on the same switch?

Does the new one only have 2? If it’s a bayonet cap lamp socket, it doesn’t matter which way round if the terminals are not marked.

I’m not quite understanding where the 2 reds are going? Is there a second light on the same switch?
I am a bit confused at this stage why the two reds is this a conduit system?
Which room is this batton holder in as if in a bathroom a pendant should not be fitted as a replacement?

Not normally. More likely an earth terminal for the metal core of the bayonet on which the bakelite is moulded. I have seen these wrongly used as a loop terminal making the lamp cap permanently live, including in a bathroom.

Hi all

First and foremost I don't want to break any forum rules or upset any members, so if my question is an inappropriate one please feel free to remove the thread.

I took note and colour coded (hence the tape) before disconnecting so that if I didn't know how to wire in the new ceiling rose I could put the batten holder back in place for the time being.

So here's how it looked with the wires attached:

IMG_4897.JPG

I can confirm that the light is in a landing, not a bathroom.

I've got access to the loft space so can take pics or trace cables up there if of any help. That is of course presuming that the thread is allowed to continue (no worries if not).

Cheers

Not normally. More likely an earth terminal for the metal core of the bayonet on which the bakelite is moulded. I have seen these wrongly used as a loop terminal making the lamp cap permanently live, including in a bathroom.
This is what the standard three plate batton holder is designed for.

For my 2p, there's a borrowed line feeding the 2-way, the red on its own is the SL, the other cable is a feed from which the N is used and the L, if it is L, has been 'parked' in the 3rd terminal possibly making the lamp cap live. Nice. Might be disconnected at the far end but even so. A pic of the bottom of the inside of the lamp holder where the lamp cap goes, would prove whether that's an earth terminal.

Thanks for all the replies and input. And for conerns of my safety :)

I am definitely going to get an electrican to check it out but in the meantime I'm curious to discuss it further just out of interest.

Firstly - what I failed to add to the original post, and what has been pointed out several times above but I've made no comment on (I hang my head in shame) is that not only is it a 2-way (as in connected to two switches), but it also shares those switches with another light. So in other words, there are two lights in the landing. And there are two switches - one at each end - which operate these two lights. I know... I'm sorry...

Like I said, I'll get this checked out and won't meddle where I shouldn't. I like getting involved but I know when to stop too. But I'm still curious so any thoughts would be interesting, especially if the "new light" that has dawned on the situation changes everything.

Cheers

Reply to Replacing ceiling lamp holder - which wire goes where? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net