Discuss Replacing Night Storage heaters - advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

Kevmul

I rent out a flat in a small west London block built in 1990s. 2 storage heaters installed around 2005 now have stuck or broken switches so I'm looking for advice about replacement. One has both night and a daytime part, but the other seems to be only wired to the night meter with no other power socket nearby. There is also an immersion water heater with two heaters, one never gets power in the day, the other is used as a booster - we want to keep that. We understand how the Economy 7 tariff works - I'm trying to understand what kind of problem I might have with the wiring. Not going to do the job myself - but I have a slight feeling that the electrician I recently spoke to has a slim handle on it. It's a pity, because the firm have been very good for emergency callouts and repairs. Am I right that, if there is an Economy 7 meter and tariff in place, ALL circuits run on the cheaper rate during the relevant night hours (lights, fridge etc)? I think that the 2 storage heaters are simply wired to circuits that never come on in the day. My question - is it possible to re-connect the heater cables at the meter end, without running new wiring through the flat, so that new heaters (with timers) could come on any time my tenants chose? This might be on the cheap rate, as they get up early - but also during the day if they are home. Some research leads me to think that I'm wrong and new cabling would have to be run - I'm a bit lost. In my own house, I have E7 but no separate circuits, I just use a timer to run during the cheap rate. I'd be grateful for helpful comments.

Look into new efficient electric radiators... can use the existing wiring, just need to be on the 24hr supply and you could do away with the e7 altogether.
Fischer, or Rointe, for example.

Look into new efficient electric radiators... can use the existing wiring, just need to be on the 24hr supply and you could do away with the e7 altogether.
Thanks littlespark, but I don't to do away with E7, it's a good rate for water heating. I'm asking if it's complicated to transfer the wiring on the heaters from 'E7only' to 'both'. I want new efficient radiators (no gas in the flat) but I want them to use the lower tariff if used during the night hours.

the answer is a dual tariff meter so all equipment is cheap rate 12.00 - 7.00 am. and can be used in the day on the high rate, with timers and /or override switches if preferred.

the answer is a dual tariff meter so all equipment is cheap rate 12.00 - 7.00 am. and can be used in the day on the high rate, with timers and /or override switches if preferred.
Thanks very much telectrix. That's exactly what I want. There is what I think is a 'smart meter' SKU1 Cellular that seems to be added to the two previous meters. The property is already on a dual tarif. Is it an electrician job to, or do I have to get the power supplier to do something as well?
Replacing Night Storage heaters - advice please PHOTO-2020-04-22-17-21-30 - EletriciansForums.netReplacing Night Storage heaters - advice please PHOTO-2020-04-22-17-30-47 - EletriciansForums.netReplacing Night Storage heaters - advice please PHOTO-2020-04-22-17-31-47 - EletriciansForums.net

might just be some re-jigging of cables. a job for an electrician.

Thanks. That's the pointer I need.
You most definitely need an electrician with an understanding of economy 7 to come to your property and have a look, there are so many variables and set ups gets a bit complicated in some cases but can definately be done. The HHR (High heat retention) storage heaters are what is needed they require both “Off peak” “peak” supplies and by swnds of it one of your heaters already has that is it either an (Elnur) Or (Dimplex) brand? They are the 2 most common

if You want to stay with storage heaters then the new Dimplex ones are an option with the tariff you have. You just need to ensure the units have a permanent feed for the electronics.

I agree... I've spent quite some time throwing numbers into a spreadsheet about this one. My conclusion was (with current costs) that for most people, storage heaters don't make any economic sense. The only exception maybe people that need heat throughout the day, but even then it's a close call.

The main reason for this is that when you have a E7 tariff, the day rate is so much higher than standard to make up for the reduced night rate. It also limits your options with switching suppliers to find the cheapest prices, as not all provide a dual rate tariff.

Also, if you do go down the dual rate route... you need to work at shifting as much usage to the off-peak rate as possible... like water heating, dishwasher use, washing machine use, tumble dryer etc...

Modern, highly controlled/regulated electric heaters coupled with good insulation and the cheapest tariff you can find, is often the cheapest/easiest option. IMHO of course.

Reply to Replacing Night Storage heaters - advice please in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock