Discuss Requirement for Fireproof Enclosure for Pre-Existing Consumer Unit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

aesmith

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi,
This question relates to renovations being carried on a house that has an existing twin RCD consumer unit, predating amendment 3. I am looking for clarity on whether or not we'd be required to comply with the fire proofing requirements, does it depend on the extent to which the installation is being changed? If so then what specific changes would trigger that requirement?
Thanks, Tony S

Provided it is safe for continued use then generally it would not need replacing. If however your renovations extend to a complete rewire it is likely the electrician would replace it as a matter of course.

Thanks. I don't believe a full rewire will be needed but some work is recommended. This really came up because we're looking at the interior decoration and joinery where the CU is located, so would like to find out whether we need to plan for a fireproof enclosure.

Actually it just occurred to me - if a CU is currently not enclosed, just wall mounted, and we wanted to enclose it in a cupboard, would that need to be fireproof - even though the CU predates the requirement?

I don't have details of the recommended electrical work at the moment, and to be honest we may just go with what the electrician recommends. But I would like to know whether it's strictly required for compliance.

Thanks.

Depends what you are trying to achieve by enclosing it. As the consumer unit is not currently manufactured from fire retardant materials then enclosing with a cupboard using combustible materials probably makes no odds however it provides fuel should a fire start. There is however no reason for the consumer unit to combust providing it is safe and correctly maintained. Enclosing a consumer unit within a fire retardant enclosure to me is pointless, just replace it.
Can you put up a pic of the existing consumer unit.

Reply to Requirement for Fireproof Enclosure for Pre-Existing Consumer Unit in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net