Discuss Resistance explained in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pete, you've got way too much time on your hands! Hasn't the Missus got something for you to be getting on with? :mtongue:

This re-jigging of electrical principles reminds me of a conversation I had with a caretaker recently who insisted that an RCD had to be near the point of the leakage in order to be effective. The theory being that if there is a long length of lead, after the RCD has operated all the electricity in the cable has to flow out of the fault before the cable de-energises....therefore the longer the lead.....you can guess the rest. Apparently he had been taught this little nugget on a PAT testing course.

I grew up thinking the resistance of an electric fire element came from it being made of thin nichrome wire. But now I know it's all the little spirals they wind into it. And if you cut open an immersion heater or peel the element off the back of an iron soleplate, again you'll see all the little zigzags, coils and twists that put the resistance in. And the tighter the twists - well just look at light bulb filaments... It makes perfect sense.

The only thing I don't understand though, is how the telephone used to work with that coily handset cord.

Ah LN, that's an easy one. If only one end was coily you were ok, but all those times people raised their voices to be heard on the phone, it was because both ends had the coily leads. I'm still trying to understand the mobile phone though :)

I grew up thinking the resistance of an electric fire element came from it being made of thin nichrome wire. But now I know it's all the little spirals they wind into it. And if you cut open an immersion heater or peel the element off the back of an iron soleplate, again you'll see all the little zigzags, coils and twists that put the resistance in. And the tighter the twists - well just look at light bulb filaments... It makes perfect sense.

The only thing I don't understand though, is how the telephone used to work with that coily handset cord.
Didn't you know that was the volume control, the straighter you pulled it the louder the callers voice got. Some people are lost causes:tearsofjoy:

Reply to Resistance explained in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net