Discuss Rewiring generator to match country requirements in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

scubadon

DIY
Reaction score
Good day all,

I'm writing from the Commonwealth of Dominica (NOT Dominican Republic) where we have single phase 230V, 50Hz.

I'm managing a property where the owner purchased a generator from the US and asked for it to be wired accordingly along with a Auto Transfer Switch. I've attached some pictures of name plates, invoice etc.

It seems to me the generator itself isn't wired appropriately for the 230V/50Hz we use here.

first problem that's evident is, when generator is feeding power to the house I get approx. 115V from Ground to L and 115V from Ground to N. at outlets. As you can see in the transfer switch photo they have brown 115V on one side and blue 115V on the other side, this is coming from the generator obviously, and obviously wrong..

Second problem is, if I try to put generator in AUTO it always immediately tries to start as the transfer switch sees wrong current from the grid.

What I'm looking for is some insight of what is wrong with the system as it is (I believe the genie needs to have the internal connections modified from double delta) and how to steer the local electricians in the right direction.

Thanks in advance for any help

Don

Attachments

• Rewiring generator to match country requirements ATS1 - EletriciansForums.net
    ATS1.jpeg
    267.6 KB · Views: 16
  • Rewiring generator to match country requirements ATS2 - EletriciansForums.net
    ATS2.jpeg
    271.1 KB · Views: 15
  • Rewiring generator to match country requirements GEN INVOICE1 - EletriciansForums.net
    GEN INVOICE1.jpeg
    275 KB · Views: 15
  • Rewiring generator to match country requirements GEN INVOICE2 - EletriciansForums.net
    GEN INVOICE2.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Rewiring generator to match country requirements GEN NAME PLATE 2 - EletriciansForums.net
    GEN NAME PLATE 2.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 14
  • Rewiring generator to match country requirements GEN NAME PLATE - EletriciansForums.net
    GEN NAME PLATE.jpeg
    211.4 KB · Views: 16
First, re. getting the ATS to correctly detect the incoming grid power, there are a couple of programmable functions on that controller. It might need nothing more than the threshold voltage turned down a bit. According to the bumf here: https://mtspowerproducts.com/admin/data_sheet/TCS3P125.pdf it's parameter 8, normally set to 180V but who knows what yours is set to. Worth a check.

I don't see anything that would allow it to be configured for sensing 0-240V as distinct from 120-0-120V, so if the controller is specifically looking for a US-style 120-0-120 split phase supply, it might simply not be compatible. I think that would need a discussion with the manufacturers' technical people to clarify.

Once the generator is running, it would be reasonable to expect 120-0-120V on the output because as labelled on the panel, the neutral is floating rather than connected to ground. I.e. it is supplied in 'IT' configuration and if you want it 'TN' i.e. with a grounded neutral, you make the neutral-ground link (USA term: 'bond') yourself. That would be either the middle wire to ground to make 120-0-120 or one end (e.g. the blue) to make 0-240.

The fact that it is sitting with 120V either side of ground at the moment doesn't mean the middle wire is solidly grounded - outputs often float to a symmetrical position by themselves. But you must check, before linking to one end, to make 0-240. I cannot see the middle wire in the panel anywhere, it's probably insulated with the generator itself but a thorough check is essential.

Just to add it's not safe to connect the generator in 110-0-110 configuration to an electrical installation that has single pole circuit breakers. I don't know your local regs but where I am it's not legal to connect any form of suplimentary electrical supply to a domestic premises where the neutral and earth aren't linked at source.

First, re. getting the ATS to correctly detect the incoming grid power, there are a couple of programmable functions on that controller. It might need nothing more than the threshold voltage turned down a bit. According to the bumf here: https://mtspowerproducts.com/admin/data_sheet/TCS3P125.pdf it's parameter 8, normally set to 180V but who knows what yours is set to. Worth a check.

I don't see anything that would allow it to be configured for sensing 0-240V as distinct from 120-0-120V, so if the controller is specifically looking for a US-style 120-0-120 split phase supply, it might simply not be compatible. I think that would need a discussion with the manufacturers' technical people to clarify.

Once the generator is running, it would be reasonable to expect 120-0-120V on the output because as labelled on the panel, the neutral is floating rather than connected to ground. I.e. it is supplied in 'IT' configuration and if you want it 'TN' i.e. with a grounded neutral, you make the neutral-ground link (USA term: 'bond') yourself. That would be either the middle wire to ground to make 120-0-120 or one end (e.g. the blue) to make 0-240.

The fact that it is sitting with 120V either side of ground at the moment doesn't mean the middle wire is solidly grounded - outputs often float to a symmetrical position by themselves. But you must check, before linking to one end, to make 0-240. I cannot see the middle wire in the panel anywhere, it's probably insulated with the generator itself but a thorough check is essential.
Thanks for the input, Lucien.

I did check the settings on the ATS controller. I think the primary issue was it was set to 3 phase on line 1.

Now the ATS displays and monitors the grid properly.

As for the weird voltage readings I mentioned at outlets when Genie was supplying the house. That now reads as I would expect (not being an electrician) ground to Line 230ish V, ground to neutral less than 1V. Why this changed I have no idea except that there are some renovations going on and they ran new conduit and wires from the meter to house as the old one was water flooded.

As for the AUTO mode on Genie. It still starts up as soon as AUTO is selected and STATUS shows MAINS FAILURE. However, it no longer activates the ATS to switch over as the ATS is reading the grid properly. When I do turn off main breaker to house the ATS sees this failure and the unit switches to generator. I can go back and forth from main to generator by switching OFF/ON the house main breaker.

So the last problem is making the generator sense mains voltage properly.

Any thoughts. I guess I'll start by checking continuity of remote start wires from ATS to generator. There are only 4 wires running to genie in this regard.

-Ground wire for remote start
-remote start wire
-L120 for trickle charger
-G120 for trickle charger

Cheers

Reply to Rewiring generator to match country requirements in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock