Discuss Running 10mm T&E externally? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
I’ve done some labouring support work for sparks in the past (joiner by trade) and have a qualified spark installing an electric shower for me. To save him time I’m going to run the cable. Using 10mm. Walls and floors not easily accessible and shower is about 25m of wire from consumer unit. Easiest way is to go outside, up about 10 foot of wall then back in through the roof. If in galvanised trunking is this acceptable?

What size is the load? What's the environment like? (Ambient temperatures, insulation along run etc).

(also begs the question, if you have a spark on the job for you, why wasn't he your first goto for posing the question)

The load? Can’t think of a shower which will need more than a 10mm cable bud regardless of environment in the average house, your second question can be answered easily, there is no spark lol

10mm T&E standard has low UV tolerance and shouldn't be the cable of choice for external work especially if in direct sunlight.

I would consider an armoured which can be converted back at the load end if required to a more suitable cable for terminating into the shower isolation switch.

I have yet to come across a house where I couldn't route a cable internally, if floors need to come up and walls need to be drilled or chased then that is the case, if chasing walls though ensure of routing within prescribed zones permitted.

Or at least put it in some black plastic conduit.

PVC T&E is not suitable for installation outside because
a) it is not UV stabilisised and may break down after a while
b) constant frost/heat/frost/heat cycles will kernacker it

Run in conduit it is fine. For 10mm you'll probably need 25mm though....
Better to run 10mm SWA for that sort of job.

Is there any particular problem with using ho7 flex for the whole run from CU to isolator? It's got superior properties to T and E. I know people get wound up about using 'flex' for fixed wiring, but not sure why. Seems to be the norm on the continent, and none of this reduced cpc nonsense we have!
If I were to do the job, I'd use SWA, if only to avoid critisism from any following sparks about inappropriate use of flex...but is that actually the best solution?

Sparks walking the inca trail for the next 2.5 weeks and pretty uncontactable. Thanks. It’s a 7.0Kw shower unit. Was planning on putting the bit that sits outside in galvanised trunking.
Hey, it's only got to be able to carry fault current for less than 0.1s in most cases. Most of the time they are actually well oversized!! :)
thanks for the reply. Is it ok to run it externally in some form of trunking for about 10ft? The house has 80cm thick stone walls so pretty tricky to channel/go under floors etc.

Reply to Running 10mm T&E externally? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock