Discuss Ryobi 18v combi drill - any good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

lol at the end of the day if they suit the purpose they have been bought for then they cant be bad!

ive just bought a Hitachi 18v combi and i havnt done anything with it that i dont think the ryobi could do just aswell.

the main reason for me to go for a better make is just reliability but it didnt cross my mind that i could loose work because of the make of my drill!!!!

must admit though, i do love the feel of the Hitachi!

Don't agree that cheap crap has a place. When my DeWalt drill died after a coule of years of joist drilling, I changed it for a B&Q cheapie - less than a tenner. It lasted long enough to drill about 20 holes before giving up and making a whining noise and not drilling. Didn't think asking it to drill 20mm holes in wood was too much to ask, so got it swapped for another - that one lasted three holes. At that point I swapped it for the Ryobi, and I'm pleased with that. It's all well and good saying that we need to invest in professionalism, but if you only have moderate/low use for a tool, then surely it makes some sense to go for the middle ground between stupidly cheap and top of the range, most expensive moddel of the branded one? After all, we all know that having just one drill isn't possible. I'd rather spend the money buying the right drills for the right jobs, with quality to match the usage of the tool than just one big, expensive item that claims to do it all.

Last edited by a moderator:
i can go with that!when i started fitting stairlifts years ago i had a yankee or pump screwdriver,then i made some cash and bought 24v bosch from b n poo. always battery replacment costly..............its horses for courses,i have a £24.99 cordless i attach a "fan" to when its hot..........................:p rather than "hit the crap" outta your corded dewalt just as it has a hammer action buy a cheap £40 sds,i have this titan brand and i take no mercy with it! if it dies ,well its only £40 :) saving up for another 24v sds as lighter,skrewfix doing one for £230? seems like a very good price,???

Well said .what does it matter if it drills a hole:confused: i still use a mains drill,its faster if drilling loads of joists,or fixings:)

Surprised you don't use a hand drill Rum!

Cmon, good tools will EARN you money. Whatever next???? Woolworths own SDS for £15? Bargain eh?:rolleyes:

lol cirrus:D:rolleyes:
Cheap ****e and no self respecting trade who wants taking seriously uses Ryobi. It tells people you don't wanna invest in your professionalism or your business. Only good for 1st yr apprentices and the DIYer
im not insulted but i do feel the need now to tell you that i do have self respect,extreme pride in my work and am also hugely profesional :p

well i just think you have been brainwashed by name brands

just tell me one thing have you ever owned a ryobi drill? ever even used one? i doubt it as i dont think your pride will let you....shame....you couldve saved yerself a fortune over the years

and im not really bothered about a homeowner sticking his nose up at my tools (i dont think this would ever happen anyway)or yourself for that matter

i can just have a giggle at the fact that if my drill does break it is allready 2 years old and a new one will be 50 quid :D

I had an 18v Cryobi for 3 months as an apprentice. Sold it when I saw the light;)

imho, There is Dewalt, then Bosch, Hitachi then Makita, all the rest are really ****e, some even ****ier than others. Except maybe Splitz or Split...can't remember the name, they were good but not heard of them for a while, have they been taken over?

imho, There is Dewalt, then Bosch, Hitachi then Makita, all the rest are really ****e, some even ****ier than others. Except maybe Splitz or Split...can't remember the name, they were good but not heard of them for a while, have they been taken over?

I think you mean "Spit" we have one of there 12v combo drills in the workshop, and its incredibly good. Id suggest anyone not to rule them out as a brand. They make some great stuff.

Personally if you can afford it i would always go for festool, and for items they dont offer hitachi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now being a DeWalt owner and proud of it IS taking name brands too far - unless they were cheapest at the time of purchase. They usually cost more, but don't work any better, and certainly don't last any longer than the other brands mentioned. Plus you have all that sick-enducing yellow to contend with. In fact, I generally confuse DeWalt with the cheapie JCB stuff you buy in Makro that's junk :)

remember you get what you pay for two lads in our place bought the ryobi combi drills 18v with 2 batteries and i bought the makita lxt for £270 a year down the line both of their batteries hold a charge for like 20 mins and my makita holds the charge for ever but the price is a big difference i also had the ryobi 14volt 3 years ago and the batts went on that !

we fit cctv to steel colums so i quess it depends on how often you use the drill

Reply to Ryobi 18v combi drill - any good? in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock