Discuss Safe zones and Earth cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I've been told I need to upgrade the main earth bonding to 16mm.
The consumer unit is on the wall adjacent to the externally mounted incoming supply box - I basically need to run the earth wire down the corner about 1m and then across the side wall about 30cm then through and into the back of the supply box. 15cm of the horizonal run would thus be outside a safe zone.
Now I'm looking at the regs on buried cables and although they seem to be intended for power cables, I can't find any separate details on earth only cables, other than one of the exemptions listed allowing cables to be run outside of safe zones, is where the cable is either contained within earthed sheaving or earthed conduit. Given that an earth cable would be effectively no different to an earthed conduit from an electrical safety point of view given that all earth cables and earthed fixtures are always at the same potential (or should be) within a property. But that's logical and doesn't necessarily mean it's right.
The other factor is the requirement for buried cables to be protected by RCD's - clearly not something that can apply to an earth only cable, which makes me think that safe zones don't really apply here.....

Thoughts?

As it is clipped direct and it is apparent where it is running to I do not think you need to worry about it. The whole idea is avoiding hidden cable being damaged. This is not hidden just goes straight through the wall to the other side where it can be seen so very little chance of someone deciding to drill exactly where the cable goes through. That is if I am understanding you correctly in your description.

Last edited:
I've been told I need to upgrade the main earth bonding to 16mm.
The consumer unit is on the wall adjacent to the externally mounted incoming supply box - I basically need to run the earth wire down the corner about 1m and then across the side wall about 30cm then through and into the back of the supply box. 15cm of the horizonal run would thus be outside a safe zone.
Now I'm looking at the regs on buried cables and although they seem to be intended for power cables, I can't find any separate details on earth only cables, other than one of the exemptions listed allowing cables to be run outside of safe zones, is where the cable is either contained within earthed sheaving or earthed conduit. Given that an earth cable would be effectively no different to an earthed conduit from an electrical safety point of view given that all earth cables and earthed fixtures are always at the same potential (or should be) within a property. But that's logical and doesn't necessarily mean it's right.
The other factor is the requirement for buried cables to be protected by RCD's - clearly not something that can apply to an earth only cable, which makes me think that safe zones don't really apply here.....

Thoughts?
Do you need to upgrade the main earth or the main bonds?? What size main fuse do you have? Do you know your earthing system? And do you know the size of the main tails or incomer??

As it is clipped direct and it is apparent where it is running to I do not think you need to worry about it. The whole idea is avoiding hidden cable being damaged. This is not hidded just goes straight through the wall to the other side where it can be seen so very little chance of someone deciding to drill exactly where the cable goes through. That is if I am understanding you correctly in your desciption.
15cm through a wall does not constitute a buried cable. How are you running the cable. Is it internal or external and is it buried in the wall or on the surface??

Sorry I wasn't clear.
First photo shows the proposed route.
Second shows the windowsill removed and reveals the box the electricity meter is contained in.
I'd like to bury the cable as opposed to running it surface mounted.
If (and as I wrote above, it doesn't make any sense, but regs sometimes don't make sense) the rules regarding the location of buried cables apply here then I see I have the following options:

1) Surface mount to a position where I can drill through into the back of the electric cupboard.
2) Channel out and conceal the cable running down the corner, but surface mount the section that runs across the wall until I can drill through into the electric cupboard. If I did this, I'd run the horizontal conduit just above the skirting.
3) Drill through to exterior for some/all of cable run - cosmetically I think this is the least desirable option.
4) Find a way to run the cable as illustrated in red, that IS allowed by the regs if possible? E.g. fitting a blank faceplate?

1669226089959.png

1669226144624.png

Sorry I wasn't clear.
Second shows the windowsill removed and reveals the box the electricity meter is contained in.
If (and as I wrote above, it doesn't make any sense, but regs sometimes don't make sense) the rules regarding the location of buried cables apply here then I see I have the following options:

1) Surface mount to a position where I can drill through into the back of the electric cupboard.
2) Channel out and conceal the cable running down the corner, but surface mount the section that runs across the wall until I can drill through into the electric cupboard. If I did this, I'd run the horizontal conduit just above the skirting.
3) Drill through to exterior for some/all of cable run - cosmetically I think this is the least desirable option.
4) Find a way to run the cable as illustrated in red, that IS allowed by the regs if possible? E.g. fitting a blank faceplate?

Do you need to upgrade the main earth or the main bonds?? What size main fuse do you have? Do you know your earthing system? And do you know the size of the main tails or incomer??

The main earth. The supply is currently connected to the Consumer Unit with 2x6mm earth cables which need upgrading to a single 16mm cable.

Main fuse is 100A.

Tails are 25mm I think.

Sorry I wasn't clear.

View attachment 103978

View attachment 103979
Why do you need to upgrade the main earth?

Anyway that stuff whatever it is in the walls would not comply as to safe zones by the looks of it so attaching cables of any kind I would not do. That is strange!

The main earth. The supply is currently connected to the Consumer Unit with 2x6mm earth cables which need upgrading to a single 16mm cable.

Main fuse is 100A.

Tails are 25mm I think.
Either surface inside or as its been said drill outside and clip directly. Make sure the main tails are 25mm or they'll have to be upgraded as well.

"As it is clipped direct and it is apparent where it is running to I do not think you need to worry about it. The whole idea is avoiding hidden cable being damaged. This is not hidden just goes straight through the wall to the other side where it can be seen so very little chance of someone deciding to drill exactly where the cable goes through. That is if I am understanding you correctly in your description."

See this makes no sense to me.
How could there be a risk in drilling into an earth cable, that was magically NOT there when drilling into an earthed conduit?

The two are at exactly the same potential at all times.

There's a 150mm safe zone down the internal corner anyway.

If the existing cable goes into a cavity... can you tie on the new cable and pull it up through the same route?

"As it is clipped direct and it is apparent where it is running to I do not think you need to worry about it. The whole idea is avoiding hidden cable being damaged. This is not hidden just goes straight through the wall to the other side where it can be seen so very little chance of someone deciding to drill exactly where the cable goes through. That is if I am understanding you correctly in your description."

See this makes no sense to me.
How could there be a risk in drilling into an earth cable, that was magically NOT there when drilling into an earthed conduit?

The two are at exactly the same potential at all times.
If you want to install it internally then on the surface. Clipped or in containment.

I had thought about this - if possible it's the ideal solution, but the cable doesn't feel that loose and there's at least one pinch point where it runs through the side of the plywood frame the plastic electric box is mounted in, before it enters the cavity.

It's certainly worth a try, but I don't have high hopes of success.

Reply to Safe zones and Earth cables in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net