Discuss SDS and Combo Drill Recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

RDB85

-
Trainee
Reaction score
I’ve been asked by work to get some power tools. Currently I’m using what the other engineers have. But I would like to get my own. I am after recommendations.

I would have thought this thread would have had more replies by now! lol Everybody on here loves tools it seems!

Or - oh no Superlec don't sell actual drills just bits by the looks of it. So yeah, just E2Go for drills sponsor-wise I think.

I use Milwaukee M18 and M12 tools for everyday work. Excellent relaibility and performance. The fuel series are the better ones, but if you're on a budget the ones labelled "brushless" sold in screwfix and toolstation are ok, just older models is all.
I'd also look at Makita and Bosch professional if you are looking at a platform to build a kit on.

I'm a DeWalt fanboy.
18v brushless stuff for me.

Milwaukee stuff is very good too The guys I know with it have nothing bad to say about it.

The Makita combi drills seem not to last, based on the opinions of others who have had them.

You can get some good deals on kits but make sure you check the exact model numbers in the kits as some key tools can have lower spec versions.

https://www.screwflix..com/p/milwau...-brushless-cordless-sds-plus-drill-bare/561fj

This one of 'em?
I'm not convinced a 12v SDS would be up to much other than very light duties.
I could be wrong though... It happened once before... a while back. :D

That will all depend on your budget. Just remember big brands like Makita, Dewalt, Millwaukee etc will all have different models ranging from budget normally sold in B&Q, Wikes etc then the middle range normally sold in Screwfix and then you have their top models normally online unless you live close to the retailer.
Most SDS drills will range from £100 up to around £600-£700 for the brands top models. Personally my favourite SDS of all time was a Hilti superb bit of kit, you then have the Makita 36v the Dewalt 54v's Bosch 36v all great bits of kit.

I'm not convinced a 12v SDS would be up to much other than very light duties.
I could be wrong though... It happened once before... a while back. :D

I have that little guy. Got it in a twin set with the 12V combi drill. Both are really good little tools with plenty of grunt used with their 6Ah batteries. I mainly use the sds for smaller masonry drilling, usually 5.5mm and it will go all day doing that. I have used it with 16-22mm masonry bits at 600mm long and it will just about cope with that, but it takes a while and drains the batteries quickly. The 18V sds is definitely the boy for that stuff.
The main reason for the 12V stuff is weight saving. I can use the 12V sds all day one handed no problems, but the 18V is much heavier.

Milwaukee looks good. Is the M18 Fuel range good? As I’ve found a Combi Drill for £250 online brand new. Should be £350.

Or would this be better:

I’ve also seen this Dewalt for £200 online:

Last edited:
Milwaukee looks good. Is the M18 Fuel range good? As I’ve found a Combi Drill for £250 online brand new. Should be £350.

Or would this be better:

I’ve also seen this Dewalt for £200 online:

The Milwaukee M18 Fuel range is the best out there at the minute. The combi drills have the highest torque of any available combi drill and mine minces through joists no problems. the combi drill is the M18FPD2 or M18FPD for the previous version. I think they are essentially the same tool, just the newer FPD2 is slightly lighter and smaller.

£250 is just slightly on the cheaper side of the going rate for a new version Fuel combi with 2 x 5Ah batteries and a charger. I can find that deal at £270 on quite a few websites I have had tools from before.

The toolstation Milwaukee items there are older dated stock with a bit less power, but still good. I have that combi, bought it 6 years ago and still going good although I did have to replace the trigger once.

The DeWalt kit looks a good deal if you need an impact driver. Not used DeWalt myself though so can't comment on it really.

The Milwaukee M18 Fuel range is the best out there at the minute. The combi drills have the highest torque of any available combi drill and mine minces through joists no problems. the combi drill is the M18FPD2 or M18FPD for the previous version. I think they are essentially the same tool, just the newer FPD2 is slightly lighter and smaller.

£250 is just slightly on the cheaper side of the going rate for a new version Fuel combi with 2 x 5Ah batteries and a charger. I can find that deal at £270 on quite a few websites I have had tools from before.

The toolstation Milwaukee items there are older dated stock with a bit less power, but still good. I have that combi, bought it 6 years ago and still going good although I did have to replace the trigger once.

The DeWalt kit looks a good deal if you need an impact driver. Not used DeWalt myself though so can't comment on it really.

Thanks Andy. This the the Milwaukee Fuel one: Milwaukee M18 FPD2 FUEL Combi Drill

I would rather have an SDS than an Impact. So it’s older stock. There is one on eBay for £300. So I’m not sure what to do. As the Milwaukee Fuel one for £250 looks a bargain based on what’s they go for online.

Thanks Andy. This the the Milwaukee Fuel one: Milwaukee M18 FPD2 FUEL Combi Drill

I would rather have an SDS than an Impact. So it’s older stock. There is one on eBay for £300. So I’m not sure what to do. As the Milwaukee Fuel one for £250 looks a bargain based on what’s they go for online.
Got a link to the deal you're looking at ? Like I say £250 is good but only just cheaper than £270 .. which is readily available.

Can’t find it now. This any good:

Hmmm, yeah looks good, but cash convertors ? Never know where it's come from.

What you go for depends on your budget really

You could buy a Fuel combi but if you then still need a sds to match the batteries then it's another £200 for a body only sds. So around £470 in total.

The toolstation kit honestly looks quite good for the price, even if it is older models. If it's a starter kit and budget is key then go for that. The batteries will last for years if you ever fancy upgrading to Fuel stuff.

Hmmm, yeah looks good, but cash convertors ? Never know where it's come from.

What you go for depends on your budget really

You could buy a Fuel combi but if you then still need a sds to match the batteries then it's another £200 for a body only sds. So around £470 in total.

The toolstation kit honestly looks quite good for the price, even if it is older models. If it's a starter kit and budget is key then go for that. The batteries will last for years if you ever fancy upgrading to Fuel stuff.

It’s gone from Cash Converters, but your only saving £70 online. It’s a good saving but you don’t have a guarantee.

That same kit from Toolstation is £300 on eBay brand new. Ideally I have a budget of £200 - £300. As I’m just starting out.

It’s gone from Cash Converters, but your only saving £70 online. It’s a good saving but you don’t have a guarantee.

That same kit from Toolstation is £300 on eBay brand new. Ideally I have a budget of £200 - £300. As I’m just starting out.

If you register your tools with Milwaukee you get a 3 year warranty anyway.

This site has a clearance sale on if you fancied a browse

Reply to SDS and Combo Drill Recommendations in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock