Discuss second solar pv inverter and batteries? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all.
We have had 7x 400w solar panels for a number of years now on our roof which is se/nw facing end terrace. 4 on se side 3 on nw side. 3.6kw inverter.
Just had a heatpump installed and now contemplating adding solar to the gable end wall and getting a battery.
Yes i am aware vertival panels will show something like a 30%reduction, yet that wall is bathed in light from 10am til 8pm each day. And in winter, when it will count most, the sun will be at a lower angle and this will even out.
Its all about maximising winter solar gain when the ashp will be on much more. We can fit approx 5 or 6 panels on the gable wall and i would want these as high output as i can get.

Anyway our current inverter is a dual mppt.
So to do this we would either have to get a triple mppt inverter, or a second inverter.
We then want to add battery storage.
It is very much in the gain info stage.

What i would like explained easily, is if adding a second inverter, to then asd a battery and be able to export to the grid from there, would make sense.
Im aware of certain instances of limits to what can be pulled in, and keen to maximise as much as possible whist keeping cost/productivity sensible.
In my head there is no point to shell out for 6x 500w panels and a 4kw inverter, if by adding the second inverter this somehow limits the input to 3.6k in total (as one iverter is smaller), instead of the 7.6kw you would expect in total.
I dont even know the correct way to ask the question, so i guess this is as good as any..
Would adding extra panels and/or a second inverter retard its own production due to different Panel wattages, different string sizes or different inverter sizes?
If what i want is going to cost 50% more and have 50% less than expected production, or retard battery storage, on top of the 30% reduction in efficiency due to vertical install, i will be spending a whole lot of money for very little.
Which i want to avoid!

Thanks

Reply to second solar pv inverter and batteries? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net