Discuss Self Certification - Sending Completion Cert to Building Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
As per Part P of Building Regs, once electrical work is performed by a registered competent person, the installation certificate needs to be given to occupier and also to building control.

How does the electrician give this to building control? Email? Post? Do they confirm receipt? Do they issue anything in return?

Part P - Self Certification.JPG

Interesting question. As a member of NICEIC, I've never been asked to submit a completed EIC either to them or to building control. I'm not sure what building control would do with it in any case.
The NICEIC online portal that is used to submit notifiable works, does ask for the relevant EIC reference number though.

Don't hink anyone ever sends the EIC to BC , as above even if you did send it to them what would they do with it.
The EIC goes the home owner to be filed in a draw or bin or where ever they keep their junk

I notify online through my scheme, download a copy of the LABC compliance certificate, and then email to the client with the EIC.

It tends to depend whether building control are involved for other reasons anyway.

Scenario 1
Builder doing an extension, building inspector checking on it every now and then.
Building inspector tells me not to issue notify via scheme, he needs EIC when ready.
He then issues BC completion certificate when every aspect of the job is signed off.

Scenario 2
Builder doing a new kitchen, no building control involved, notify work through scheme and BC completion certificate gets sent to the client.

With self certification, I think you're also supposed to tell BC before you start, so they know about the job, and its more like scenario 1?

As per Part P of Building Regs, once electrical work is performed by a registered competent person, the installation certificate needs to be given to occupier and also to building control.

How does the electrician give this to building control? Email? Post? Do they confirm receipt? Do they issue anything in return?

View attachment 107137

You don't give a copy of the EIC to building control, that's not required by part P.

In the excerpt from part P you attached to your post it requires you to give the EIC to the person ordering the work
And then a building regulations compliance certificate (not an EIC) to the occupier and a copy of it (or required information from it) to building control.

The building regulations compliance certificate is the document that your part P scheme produce and send to the relevant people when you notify the job to them.

To clarify - I misunderstood the use of the term "self certification" - I wrongly thought the OP was talking about not being in a scheme and asking building control to inspect work for a hefty fee.
Do the schemes not send them to the installation address automatically any more?
Napit emails them to the client directly unless you tick the box that asks for snail mail, in which case they post them.

Do the schemes not send them to the installation address automatically any more?

They do indeed Dave. However, I like to send a copy to my clients, along with any other relevant documentation; it gives me peace of mind knowing they’ve definitely received them.

3.4.b above isn't referencing the EIC, it's referencing the BR Compliance certificate - which is what you pay a scam for.

No, it is not. It's just certificate with all the test results, installation details and inspections. Compliance certificate is 1 page document stating details of the installer, installation address, eic number for this installation, date of which the work has been completed and description of the work

No, it is not. It's just certificate with all the test results, installation details and inspections. Compliance certificate is 1 page document stating details of the installer, installation address, eic number for this installation, date of which the work has been completed and description of the work
The way I see it:
  • Part P Building Regs mandates work is as per Wiring Regs BS7671.
  • Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) states that works complies with BS7671. Contains details of installation address, installer, tester, test results etc.
  • EIC is used as the Building Regulations compliance certificate.

Or am I missing something? This is so damned confusing....

Last edited:
Got it. Thx. Now back to my original query....how does this get sent to building control and who sends it?
It was mention earlier on, if you registered with competent person scheme then they will provide system for you to do it - usually online. If you hire third party certifier then they will do it on their system, or if you use building control directly they will take care of this internally.

Got it. Thx. Now back to my original query....how does this get sent to building control and who sends it?
To the best of my knowledge BC don't receive the EIC in most cases.
I can notify a job with NAPIT without giving NAPIT or BC the EIC.

The concept seems to be that the competent person scheme requires a member to work to the regs and meet building regs requirements.
The member tells the scheme they have done a notifiable job.
The scheme notifies building control, and the member and the customer get a completion certificate.
The customer should also get an EIC directly from the member.

Is there an echo in here? Follow the dots.......

1. You do a good job and give the customer an EIC that proves it.
2. You tell your scam you've done a good job via whatever is their online method
3. The scam tells your customer you've done a good job and sends them a Building Regs Compliance Certtificate
4. The scam tells the customer's postcode Building Control that you've been there and done a good job, sends them a copy of 3.
5. You go home and drink beer.

Reply to Self Certification - Sending Completion Cert to Building Control in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net