Discuss Self employed? Qualifications? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

Travis0808

Hi there,
I am 21 years old and aspire to be a self employed electrician..I am currently working with a company to gain experience but one day would like to work for myself. I do have 16th Edition...National diploma in Electrical engineering and NVQ level2 Electrical Installation (2330) , and i am currently the NVQ level 3. Is it worth carrying on with the 2330 or not?

What other qualifications do i need to be fully qualified and registered?

Travis, depends whst you want to register as!

Assuming NICEIC (for example) as an Approved Contractor you would need a L3 installation qualification (2330), your regs and generally 2391

As a Domestic Installer a Domestic Installer' s qual (such as EAL's) and your regs.
remember the two are different schemes. Some firms register under both schemes and some under one only

An Approved Contractor not registered with a competent persons scheme would have to go through the same LABC notification process as somebody qualified and not registered with any scheme

If you were to register as a Domestic Installer for example, even if you had 2391 you couldnt do PIR's using NICEIC's members paperwork. You can still do it, but have to use generic forms

worth looking into in more depth against each of the schemes, but at least if you got 2330 its YOUR choice!!

My boss got registered with napit without the 2391. he had 16th edition, city & guilds 2360 i think and nvq level 3.

i am currently employed with an electrical firm my boss said that i dont need to do my 17th update because i already work for him im, doing my " 303 fault finding exam next week (23330)" and currently completeing my nvq level 3 i think hes saying this to keep me cause i run the ship basicly do everything he just sits in the office do you think he just saying this to hold me back i want to go self employed maybe contracting as i feel he is ripping me off for the skills i have to intsall and test installations to the 17th edtion wiring regs
also do you have to have 2391 to sign off domestic work or could i be registerd with a govening body on the 2392 its all a bit confusing as the rgs state 631.4 electrical installation certificates/condition reports and minor works should be carried out by a competent person surely i am competent as iv been doing this job for over 4 years soon ill be taking my am2 and hopfully i could start building a business please could someone tell me im right

You need 17th + 2391, i think also this thread is from 2009 and you should start a new one. (and try punctuation ffs)

Last edited by a moderator:
and makes most of us give up reading the post after the 2nd line.

jlohm, the guys are right. Clear communication is really important, particularly if you go into business for yourself. If a client can't immediately understand what it is you have written, they may give up and you will lose the business. So it is not a question of being up tight or not, it's about helping you to succeed.

Reply to Self employed? Qualifications? in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock