Currently reading:
Self Employed - Who's busy, who's not

Discuss Self Employed - Who's busy, who's not in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Mike , well to me it's upto you , you have ago at it , but if you don't there is allways that thing that you will say to yourself "What if". READ the tread about the plasters on here DAN reposted it , and it's good , good luck what ever you decide

im starting to move away from agencywork. Ive got a good contact, who used to sub from the same firm i used to work for. Hes started to pass me jobs he doesn't want, or cant fit in, and getting me in to work with him on larger jobs.Its also handy, cos he can give me advice on running a business, and hes a brilliant sparks, and designs larger installations.

All great advice . All I can add is for those that are busy (great) just don't overstretch. I fell foul of that.

Had a little contracting business and upto to a year ago was good, making a living. I then won a contract worth quite a bit but it meant taking on a couple of extra guys, vans equipment etc. The contract was for 3 pahses over 18 months. First pahse was completed and signed off and then the largest phase started, about 3 days into it .....shelved before site work could start, just out of the blue.

It eventually left me having to fold the company and pay off the leases for the vans, the agency for the subbies, wholesalers, taxes etc, made the big mistake of tieing things for a year in leases as such to get a better rate as it was an 18 month contract. So now out in the Middle East paying it all back ............ahem lol

hoep fully may leave my fulltime job and go self employed if work continues to pick up!

just landed another 48 rental properties to my current 70 portfolio! :)

TBH I have really struggled to find ANY electrical work, I have been an Aerial Installer for the past 10 years being one of only two in my area who are qualified, the problem with this industry is when we had the Digital Switchover you have every tom dick and harry start up, now its finished we are all competing for the same work and your John from Tesco night shift who decided he could be an aerial installer on the side using his car seems to beet us professional guys to the work as they don’t have the overheads like insurance to cover every month.

Whilst doing the aerial work I have been working with a few sparks over the years so in the end I decided to get qualified and signed my self up, I got Domestic Installer Part P in July and since then I have done very little work if I am honest, a few lights and spur but that’s it, I’m lucky h have the aerials to fall back on but even that’s dying.
Since being registered I have done some advertising in shops and local chipy and I have a big banner on a friends warehouse next to a Tesco but still nothing, I have been running a business for 10 years and when I started the Aerial side if thing up was slow but I don’t remember it being this bad,.

Don’t know what to try next

We have been quiet the last 3 months, mainly do commercial work like office fit outs etc but have also tried to get into the domestic side whilst quiet e.g estate agents/letting agents in hope of picking up a few periodics and remedial works, nothing has materialised from this tho as of yet.

Hi am very busy on the south coast got 30 new builds going and 9 floors in an office refurb plus loads of bits as well

Benny going three years now and just starting to see the benefits as the recession did not help

Do you need any more suba sparks, looking for work, very quite out there at this time,
cant find anything, have 15yrs com/ind, exp, jib app, 16th edit, ccsp,ipaf, first aid,cscs.

Reply to Self Employed - Who's busy, who's not in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock