Currently reading:
Self Employed - Who's busy, who's not

Discuss Self Employed - Who's busy, who's not in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Mike71

Hi, new to the forum. Just finding my way around. Just wanted to know if you self employed electricians are finding work at the moment.
Thinking of starting up on my own or looking for another employed position.
Not sure which way to go but there doesn't seem to much work around here (Hull) at the moment.
What do you guys think?
Cheers, Mike

I started up 2 years ago in a new area so I literally started from scratch and to be honest its a struggle,

I live in a closed type small rural area , so its hard to break into and get my name known.

But I DO NOT want to go back on the cards working for idiots . If I was in your position would probably get employed and go self employed when things pick up

Hi Scott, thank you for the reply. I realise it can be hard on your own, hope things pick up for you.

I'm not sure I want to go back working for someone else either, after taking redundancy recently.

That's why I asked peoples opinions on the current state of the market.

cheers, Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi am very busy on the south coast got 30 new builds going and 9 floors in an office refurb plus loads of bits as well

Benny going three years now and just starting to see the benefits as the recession did not help

just ask yourself do you want an idiot telling you what to do, who will then either take the credit & profit for your hard work or blame you for everything that is going wrong, who will tell you every year that you are not an asset but a cost to the business. etc etc you know the score
I have been self employed for over year and a half in the south east, finding it hard breaking into the electrical market and i am on a steep learning curve with regards to running a business but its still miles better than working for the man.

id have your normal job and run your own stuff in your time off,if your own work becomes too much then go it alone,if not stick with the day job,thats probably how most end up going it alone

When I first started out I found it tough to find the work and adjust to the pressures of being self employed, but after the first year I haven't had to advertise and would not go back to working for someone else. Though the biggest issue about making the change is whether or not you are bogged down with bills and rely on the wage every week, if you still live at home with mom and dad then thats the time to have a go.

Good luck!

When I first started out I found it tough to find the work and adjust to the pressures of being self employed, but after the first year I haven't had to advertise and would not go back to working for someone else. Though the biggest issue about making the change is whether or not you are bogged down with bills and rely on the wage every week, if you still live at home with mom and dad then thats the time to have a go.

Good luck!

totally agree with above...its what stops most people going it alone..

Cheers for all the responses guys. Being nearly 40 and married with two kids, yeah I'm bogged down with the bills as most of us are!

Took redundancy a few months ago cos the firm was going belly up and they were asking for volunteers. Money running out now so decision time.

Got all the qualifications and up to date with 17th etc so thats not a problem. Just have to shell out the £600 or so to do the Part P assessment and get used to all the paperwork

involved with the business side of things.

I've got mates in various trades but none of them are very busy around here, think were still suffering the effects of the recession.

Still really tempted to give it a go.

Cheers, Mike

well i am due to start uni full time in september and am going to go S/E whilst i am there got a few leads in the commercial market so heres hoping. if it takes off it may well unburden the student loan

Took me 5 years to turn a decent profit - but the advantages of picking and choosing customers, not having someone telling me to use less cable or to fill in form 29A when I drop my mobile is ace.

I got laid off at the Beginning of june, With in a couple of week's i'd set up on my own, Got registered with Napit, and started touting my business. I wouldn't say that i'm busy, but i've been paying the bills. Being self employed is great, although i'd not have done it by choice (after a two week holiday with a baby on the way) i'm now far more relaxed than i have been for years. Now my son has arrived i've been able to spend a lot more time at home than i would have other wise.

and as an added bonus, today is friday and we are off to a vw show for the weekend, this time last year i would have been hoping to get home from work in good time, have a quick turn around and then set off about 6pm for a 150mile journey. today i'm just waiting for the wife to get up and have breakfast, then we are off! :D

If you've got some of your redundancy money behind you and you can survive for a few months on that go for it. First thing we did was work out what we had going out every month, and then worked out what i need to bring in. Aim for that and any thing else is a bonus!

good luck

id be happy with a day off, been finished since about 12 today but by the time ive sorted tools cleaned out van and completed paperwork itll be back to work, downlights tommo shower sun the 5 rewires back to back starting monda - oh what joy.

Force into self employment after being made redundant I had a slow start for at least 12 months, did a lot of tiling and bathroom fitting, this last month I can say has been the busiest I have had on a 20,000 square foot factory rewire, offices and production etc. This last week has been spent 'just disconnecting their old factory' to removing partitions and suspended ceilings.
Got about another 10 days at the new site.

Inbetween a couple of domestic referb jobs that are ongoing.

Nothing more on the books as of yet :(

Again cheers for the responses fellas. Nice to hear some of you are really busy. Lets hope the industry is picking up a bit.
thanks, Mike

a lot of it depends on various factors, how well known you are and how many decent contacts you have, there will always be plenty of work out there its just a case of people having your number and not someone elses.

be friendly dont charge over the top do a good job and go the extra mile for the client.

a lot of it depends on various factors, how well known you are and how many decent contacts you have, there will always be plenty of work out there its just a case of people having your number and not someone elses.

be friendly dont charge over the top do a good job and go the extra mile for the client.
I agree

Be prepared for endless paperwork..... but definately well worth it, no boss there to answer to, book holidays off etc

Been on my own 6 months now after subbin for years and rates getting worst and worst. Having to travel further and further.

Bit up and down, but now booked until end of Oct which is good for me. Just waiting to see how things go over dec/jan, reckon might be a bit quiter. Was doing 3-4 day weeks for first couple of months but ideal in the summer! And still almost breaking even on my previous 40 hour week wages.

Have managed to get 2 really good contracts with a kitchen firm and conservatory firm after a lot of 'hassling' people and having to really sell myself... and lots of other bits and pieces from a monthly ad in local A5 glossy mag.

Best form of advertising by far is to get a load (think I got 5000 to start) of A6 postcards professionally designed / printed / distributed.... £200'ish.... picked up a £5k extension the other week from a this.... just a card landing on someone's doormat.

All the best... Sy

Last edited:
Be prepared for endless paperwork..... but definately well worth it, no boss there to answer to, book holidays off etc

Been on my own 6 months now after subbin for years and rates getting worst and worst. Having to travel further and further.

Bit up and down, but now booked until end of Oct which is good. Was doing 3-4 day weeks for first couple of months but ideal in the summer! And still almost breaking even on my previous 40 hour week wages.

Have managed to get 2 really good contracts with a kitchen firm and conservatory firm after a lot of 'hassling' people and having to really sell myself... and lots of other bits and pieces from a monthly ad in local A5 glossy mag.

Best form of advertising by far is to get a load (think I got 5000 to start) of A6 postcards professionally designed / printed / distributed.... £200'ish.... picked up a £5k extension the other week from a this.... just a card landing on someone's doormat.

All the best... Sy

Would have to agree with the postcard route. Spent about 160 quid on them and have had endless small jobs from them and last week a call for a conversion of 1 house into 2.

Only started up this year and has been slow, but slowly but surely its picking up.

I've managed to get in with a local letting company, bathroom installer and a gas safe man. Each of these have given me jobs here and there, but getting the van out and about has also generated work for me

The work is out there,problem is I cant no longer get motivated to get stuck in and do more,think I am getting past it or just becoming a lazs git

Thanks for the responses again to all. Good idea about the printed postcards, fairly cheap method of advertising and one or two jobs out of it and it
pays for itself.

i into 2nd year s/e after bein made redundant and 1st year was either a feast or famine, was seriously considerin lookin an employer again at end of year 1 after a quiet couple of months, then past few weeks work has flooded in! thank god. my advice wud be to be carefull with ur pricin and as someone said before go the extra mile, keep on top of any paper work!

Iv been self employed for about 5 months now im doing ok. Some weeks im really busy then the next week nothing, but iv managed to get by. Its better than working for someone else.Work when you want and how hard you want. All the hard work is rewarded to you.

Iv been self employed for 8 years now, Some weeks we are really busy then nothing. Just have to take each week as it comes, we had 5 lads working for us at the start of 2009 now we just down to 2 of us.

Reply to Self Employed - Who's busy, who's not in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock