Discuss SELV garden spike lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H07RN-F is flexible rubber, quite hardy but not suitable for burial in the ground. With some duct or similar it would be a good choice as easy to work with.
I understand its definitely not OK to bury it by itself especially with 240v going through it but am I right in thinking it would be OK to bury inside some flexible conduit if used for selv applications (ie from the spike light to the junction box) ? I've certainly seen some of the YouTube sparkies do that.

I understand its definitely not OK to bury it by itself especially with 240v going through it but am I right in thinking it would be OK to bury inside some flexible conduit if used for selv applications (ie from the spike light to the junction box) ? I've certainly seen some of the YouTube sparkies do that.
Yes, as well as being RCD protected for 240V use (sicne the cable has no earthed outer layer), that should be proper electrical style duct. This sort of idea:

But for SELV use than anything that provides some mechanical protection will do. More generally with duct you can generally replace failed cable years later without much effort, though ideally you would expect see 25+ years life out of any well-installed system that is not attacked by a JCB, etc.

Reply to SELV garden spike lights in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Good Afternoon All Currently doing an EICR on common parts of a big site with multiple blocks. All blocks have outside garden spike lighting in...
Replies
Views
This is the second set which won't work to replace the current spots here in my kitchen. All they do is flash once quickly. I'm replacing...
Replies
Views
The mrs has just decided she now wants a TV wall with built in shelves etc We are going to build it out of mdf and then paint, I am just...
Replies
Views
As the title says. But then I cut off a jst connection off one of the light strips and I can't get them to work together... the one strip is plug...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Electrical2Go - Get Bank Holiday Ready with our lighting deals! For this week only, we are offering unmissable deals on garden lighting, as...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock