Discuss Should a shower isolator have a flickering dim light when off? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm not an electrician, but wanted to ask for some professional opinions. My parent's shower isolator stopped working, so they enlisted the help of someone who they say is a 'qualified electrician'... Anyway, the neon is flickering when in the off position, and a brighter (non-flickering) light when on. The shower appears to work fine (8.5kw shower with a 45a pull switch). When my father questioned it, he was told "it's to show there's power going through", yet the last switch didn't. Do some switches do this? The current switch is a British General 45a £8.95 jobbie from Screwfix

I'm concerned about the safety of it all, especially considering my father attempted to fit the new switch and only after a few hours of failing did he then ask for help. The "electrician" didn't check cables for burnt parts when he came.

Thanks

Short answer no it shouldn’t be flickering, I’d say either the switch is faulty or someone’s damaged it during installation...

How do I find qualified electricians? Is there a directory of people who are qualified or do I just look out for people who advertise themselves as sparks? Thanks
top right of your screen, in the blue band there's a search window. type in "electrician worcester". there's a couple there could help you.

Thanks, what do you mean "tails"?

So, the flickering is an indication that it's unsafe?
Actually in this case it's probably safe but needs fixing.The shower switch is double pole. This means that both the live and neutral connectors are switched. The little neon light is interally connected to these. This needs a diagram to explain but it's probably an easy fix. Get your electrically savvy workperson to swap over the live and live connections (after taking appropriate safety measure like isolating it at the consumer unit). Live and neutral from the consumer unit should both be on the same side of the switch.

Reply to Should a shower isolator have a flickering dim light when off? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net