Discuss Should I be worried? Induction hob installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

oceans247

DIY
Reaction score
Last night I was cooking dinner on my induction hob. While I had my back turned to the hob I heard a lot of crackling and popping and then smoke started coming out of the master switch for the hob on the wall. It stank for fish.... It was kind of scary to have to touch the switch that was crackling and smoking. Today my landlord ask me to take measurements of the hob so they can order a new hob. I was surprised to see what was underneath.... I believe the top of the oven should not get hot enough to ignite all that wood dust, but there are fans on the bottom of the induction hob which could be sucking up this dust... Should I get an electrical inspection as if this is the standard of the electrics, it is rather worrying?

WhatsApp Image 2019-10-26 at 16.43.55.jpegWhatsApp Image 2019-10-26 at 16.43.01.jpeg

To be fair the electrics aren’t the issue here. Yes the black wire could be inserted a bit further into the choc block and the choc block put into a choc box but the problem seems to be the dirt below the hob. Try vacuuming all that loose dirt away before your new hob goes in.

Think I might ask your landlord to get the 'master switch' checked out. You might have some loose connections there. The connection between hob flex and grey cable seems a bit dodgwhah, as Sintra said. The sawdust is just the result of poor workmanship, so I'm a bit worried about the rest of it.

Thanks for your reply guys. Nothing has been done yet as it happened last night. I have just turned off the breaker at the main electrical board.

Ruston, you are correct, the wall switch (is what was smoking and crackling) needs to be replaced. I will insist on them doing that at the same time.

I didn't mention is, but the hob has been behaving strangely since day 1. I have (rather had) a good quality Tefal pan. I used it on setting 7 and the pan heated up so much the base of the pan separated from the shell of the pan. Since then I have been cooking on power level 3.

FYI - The wall switch on the left is not the offending switch.

Thanks for your reply guys. Nothing has been done yet as it happened last night. I have just turned off the breaker at the main electrical board.

Ruston, you are correct, the wall switch (is what was smoking and crackling) needs to be replaced. I will insist on them doing that at the same time.

I didn't mention is, but the hob has been behaving strangely since day 1. I have (rather had) a good quality Tefal pan. I used it on setting 7 and the pan heated up so much the base of the pan separated from the shell of the pan. Since then I have been cooking on power level 3.

FYI - The wall switch on the left is not the offending switch.
This is a cut and paste from a quick look on Google.

The best cookware for induction hobs are made from ferrous metals such as stainless steel (specifically 18/10 grade) and cast iron. Other types of cookwaresuch as aluminium, copper, glass, anodised or ceramic won't work unless they have an induction plate built into the base .

Have a check and see if your pans are compatible.

So the landlord hasn't had any investigation work carried out and is just replacing the hob? I'm with Pete, sounds like the switch has loose terminations that need sorting out. Also all that crap under the hob needs cleaning up and also the connection to the existing circuit needs making off properly not with chocblocks.

Hi guys,

Yes the pan was specifically for induction hobs, and not a cheap one at either.

As Ruston said, it is an induction hob.

I will ask them to sort out the connection too.

I did not ask them to replace the hob. They suggested it.

Reply to Should I be worried? Induction hob installation in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net