Discuss Should I stay or should I go now?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

BillyTheSparks

Hi I am NICEIC part 'P' Domestic Installer scam. I have been with them for three years now and find that I'm paying the annual fee for not much in return.
I know that they all charge a rip-off amount for what they call a 'Service', but I was wondering as the title suggests; should I stay with them and pay the fee, or go with another scam provider?

I would just like your suggestions and any info that you have to offer. I'm not bias and will take on board all the pros and cons

Many thanks in advace

Billy

I am not with the Niceic and personally I never will,they can't go downhill in my estimation because they have already hit rock bottom,however,as far as part pants is concerned there really is no difference with any of the scams, as far as I can tell

They all let us notify works and thats about it

So I'm paying £478.80 +VAT for the privalege of letting them know that I've done a job. And then paying £1.50 +VAT for 'Insurance' for each job?

That is pretty S#!T.

So how much does it cost for me to tell the LABC via email etc of a job that I have done?

Could I become a part 'P' organisation? Or could we as a forum become a organisation and cut the cost of this scam to ourselves?

its tough times and they are not helping themselves as I said they will badge anything with a heartbeat but at the same times they will not kick anyone out because they will lose the subs and they are sales driven ie get the numbers up and sell them services . We must be the only trade in this country that has had to absorb the continual changes with regards to regs , COPs C&G Calibration fees not forgetting the Schemie fees.

In my view the NICEIC are only interested in the closed shop of big electrical contract and maintenance contracts and they are not interested in the small guy. Can you imagine if a local council sourced a local electrician to repair a pendant or light switch but no that just aint going to happen plus what other supervisory body can inspect your work advise that you need to get your qualifications up to scratch then sell you the course to do it conflict of interests come to mind.

Its your shout

So how much does it cost for me to tell the LABC via email etc of a job that I have done?

I did a job recently in Berkshire and they charge £210.00 per job for notification, inspection, etc. so on that basis 3 jobs per year and you're making a saving.

How many notifiable jobs do you do per year?

which just goes to prove that the scam providers are not the only sharks in the pond.

Going by that then Murdoch, it is a saving. As I do submit more than three jobs a year.

Are they all pretty much the same price? What would be the chances of playing one against the other I wonder??
I'll have to speak to the ones I know about and see....

Does anyone one know what the organisation requires to be able to be registered with the government? (If it is registered with the government).
As I said before, could the forum come up with a co-operation type organisation to save us all the expense...

Various people have mentioned Stroma in the past, being cheaper to register with and notify.

Don't know if anyone has actually registered with them and can give any feedback

I looked at it a few weeks ago Billy, the governement had a pretty tight deadline for getting the registration in place but next time it opens I intend to be ready for it. There's a lot more Ts to cross and Is to dot but hopefully.......

Depends on your clients.

Purely domestic (your own customers) any will do.

If you work for rental agencies they may prefer nic.

Any council work will require nic too.

- - - Updated - - -

I looked at it a few weeks ago Billy, the governement had a pretty tight deadline for getting the registration in place but next time it opens I intend to be ready for it. There's a lot more Ts to cross and Is to dot but hopefully.......

If you need any help.......

It's not a saving at all really as we all lose out in the end by having to do 1 or 2 decent jobs, for our profit on those to go on paying the annual subscription which is extortionate.....so essentially we work for free for a bit, to pay someone to come round once a year and say we can do our jobs right, especially when it's not that easy to find jobs to make money on in the first place....but oh well that's life, and if you want to play by the rules that's what we have to do....rant over :).

The thing is its a mess and the tail is wagging the dog here and now it is out of control as we all have stories about them I used to workin maintenance and there was guys on nightshift that would do pencil maintenance ie go for a kip and fill in the sheets as maintenance done.

the niceic are the most well known compared to the others and when i have my annual assessment this thursday i will have a chat with phil from elecsa and raise my concerns that i have never seen anything from elecsa on advertising and pushing the part p message to domestic customers/press releases etc,so its down to us and makes me wonder why do i pay £444 a year to tell people about why they should use a registered part p blah blah,thats not my bleedin job its theirs anyhow,if you want to save £100 go elecsa who are more friendly then the nic and notification is simple enough.

I have written to my LBC about raising awareness with the public about part P through their own publications and local free papers..... They acknowledged that it was a good idea and will consider it. I'm not holding my breath.

the niceic are the most well known compared to the others and when i have my annual assessment this thursday i will have a chat with phil from elecsa and raise my concerns that i have never seen anything from elecsa on advertising and pushing the part p message to domestic customers/press releases etc,so its down to us and makes me wonder why do i pay £444 a year to tell people about why they should use a registered part p blah blah,thats not my bleedin job its theirs anyhow,if you want to save £100 go elecsa who are more friendly then the nic and notification is simple enough.

Completely agree with this.

In fact the only thing I've seen recently from Elecsa was an email about notifications, and that was obviously only sent to registered members.

To be honest the words marketing, Elecsa, Napit or NICEIC can not be used in the same sentence as they are ALL as BAD as EACH OTHER.

What they should do is collaberative marketing to pool resources and raise awareness

Completely agree with this.

In fact the only thing I've seen recently from Elecsa was an email about notifications, and that was obviously only sent to registered members.

To be honest the words marketing, Elecsa, Napit or NICEIC can not be used in the same sentence as they are ALL as BAD as EACH OTHER.

What they should do is collaberative marketing to pool resources and raise awareness

Totally agree with that. The reason old Mrs Jones has "Dave from down the pub" power her shed is because she has no idea that part P exists, let alone any knowledge that LBC need telling about certain jobs.
It's about time we saw some advertising to promote registered electricians where notifiable work is concerned.

All the scheme's are a scam....just on different lvl's.

Only recently gone the scam route (assessment in 4 weeks time) but after ringing Napit, Nic*spits*eic and Elecsa i've chosen Elecsa to gift my hard earned cash to as they were the most helpful when trying to get info over the phone.

Nic*spits*Eic only seemed to be interested in the money and telling me i should be with them because they're the best (in thier eyes) which totaly puy me off.

Hi mate thats the exact reason i chose Elecsa
as before i jumped into this mess
I contacted both the nic and elecsa it was always elecsa who were willing to speak to you about any issue
NIC either fobbed me off on the phone didnt respond to emails or just said pay the fee basically and register but seemed reluctant to tell you about the process
were elecsa actually made me feel welcome and informed me of exactly what would be required in a friendly manner same as the assessment
It was a easy choice but if i truly had a choice i wouldnt be choosing any

Its all a scam and so are the C&G and there courses & course providers, JIB you cant even get a straight answer other than pay the fee and wait and see lol
as they know no one would pay if they wernt going to get the card they were after. This way its like a fortune cookie but not always bringing good fortune,
they are all just lining there own pockets off peoples backs and not delivering relevent courses and training.

I had a letter from ELECSA telling me they will be taking this years fee early sept,
as my asssessment will be due late october its all coming around again calibration pli jsut so i can carry out a few jobs.
Oh I had a email survey so gave them some pointers on what i thought wasnt good with there service including there large fees
thats the only contact i have had with them apart form the odd phone call recently
Its all just a tax they must have heard that sparks were making tons of money and felt it wasnt policed enough and everyone was makingit by the bucket load, so they best grab some of it
i would be happy with a tin can full lol

£444 or more for a guy to spend half a day chatting and watching you isnt bad at all if only i could be a assessor life would be sweet and then they take more money jsut to notify a job via online facility so basically you do all the work and pay them a large fee for the privilage he only has to go to 2 jobs a day
now with notification they know exactly what work you have done and when
and if you make a mistake they will lynch you

The Schemies need to be more tansparent ie how much are they earning what bonuses if any are being paid plus the situation is peverse where you pay them money to basically put you through the hoops . When i chucked my job my manager at the time said you and your customer focus get it through your head its a jungle and its them and us. So I applied it to my business and have never looked back. Also as I have said it is the tail wagging the dog you are their customer yet you are answerable to them and as some of you have mentioned you never get a straight answer ie in an older property can I use the conduit as an earth and you will struggle to get an answer because here is the catch they just dont know so thats a bit like your lecturer in college checking your exam but cannot actually do it. Now for me as a 14th edition spark would not hesitate in using the conduit as an earth because 36 years ago thats how it was done (and its a better earth) so why the mystic around this because the trick is to make you think that you need them and their word is law so whats my take well schemies should concentrate on guys who are new to the trade who need guidance and yes Part P on a smaller scale could be a good quality control system but think of this to start a Ltd business you register for VAT you spend £500 a year to a schemie who will never strike you off because they dont want to lose the subs and the add on courses they sell you in other words there is a massive conflict of interests.

So what do you do well after your assesment I would advise that you quiz your inspector ie are you on a bonus system what do you do when a member goes off the rail what are you doing to promote me and my business via informing the public about Part P and if he or she gets a bit defensive you tell them that remember it is you that is paying for a service and that you need to know they are raising standards because if not then you may have to vote with your feet. Plus dont think for a minute they stay in their white castles as they read posts like this every day so they play a game where they pretend they are aloft from the every day plebbs

Reply to Should I stay or should I go now?? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock