Discuss Shower 8.5 on a 40mcb is it dangerous in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Doing some calculations, I don’t agree with your tenants electrician. A 6mm cable, clipped direct will be absolutely fine on a 40amp mcb. The only issue is if the shower circuit is not on an RCD. Providing the run isn't miles and miles.
Putting a 32amp mcb in the circuit will just cause annoying tripping as the 8.5 kw shower will draw around 36amps.
Sounds like the electrician needs to look at the books a bit

Doing some calculations, I don’t agree with your tenants electrician. A 6mm cable, clipped direct will be absolutely fine on a 40amp mcb. The only issue is if the shower circuit is not on an RCD. Providing the run isn't miles and miles.
Putting a 32amp mcb in the circuit will just cause annoying tripping as the 8.5 kw shower will draw around 36amps.

Agree it does not need changing, and probably better not to. Not so sure 36 amps would cause the overload part of the breaker to nuisance trip though, looking at the curve for it.

That would be one seriously long shower!

apart from all the good advice given so far, as long as the 6.0mm is installed as ref. method C, i.e. it can safely carry 47A, ( Ib<Iz ) then aas the shower is a fixed load, overcurrent protection is not required so a 50A MCB could be installed. 433.3.1 (ii). (BYB 17th).

I mean, going off this even if its in trunking on its own, then it will be alright on a 40A.

Ask her to get her electrician to put it in writing also quoting BS as well as his or her part P approval body.
Then armed with the said information ring the help desk of the said body (they all have a help desk), quote their number etc and speak to them they will give you 100% the answer. Ensure your tennant tells sparky what you are doing. If he is fully approved and he’s correct he will not hesitate in supplying the information.

Ask her to get her electrician to put it in writing also quoting BS as well as his or her part P approval body.
Then armed with the said information ring the help desk of the said body (they all have a help desk), quote their number etc and speak to them they will give you 100% the answer. Ensure your tennant tells sparky what you are doing. If he is fully approved and he’s correct he will not hesitate in supplying the information.
Thank you Tom for the advice seems like plan.

Regards Chris

One things for sure they should be greatful they have got a landlord that cares, the fact you are investigating there concerns rather than just saying hey it works what u complaining about shows you care not to mention new cooker
Thank you for your comments, I just want my tenant to have a safe home they can enjoy after all the do pay the rent.

Regards Chris

One things for sure they should be greatful they have got a landlord that cares, the fact you are investigating there concerns rather than just saying hey it works what u complaining about shows you care not to mention new cooker
I have since found out from the tenant that he did not even go upstairs to look at the shower so has no idea about it's power rating.
What is even more worrying he said that instead of connecting the cooker with 6mm cable he should really be using flexible multi strand cable like on her kettle or halogen cooker.
I have never heard of this can anyone please enlighten me.

Regards Chris

I have since found out from the tenant that he did not even go upstairs to look at the shower so has no idea about it's power rating.
What is even more worrying he said that instead of connecting the cooker with 6mm cable he should really using flexible multi strand cable like on her kettle or halogen cooker.

Regards Chris

The length of the run is 8 metres and there is a 30ma rcd in the consumer unit
What is even more worrying he said that instead of connecting the cooker with 6mm cable he should really be using flexible multi strand cable like on her kettle or halogen cooker.

Regards Chris

Hi Chris - site unseen that doesn't sound like something an Electrician would say as an 8.5kW shower is not normally connected by flex. Certainly not a kettle flex as they will be rated about 3kW max.

Your electrician is absolutly wrong
8500w @ 240v = 35.4A
or even
8500w @ 230v = 36.9A
so 32A is not sufficent.
40A would be minimum.
What electrician in his right mind would hook up a water heater
without knowing for sure it's ratings ?
Scheer madness.

Think the OP said his electrician said the ‘cooker’ should be connected with flexible cable?

I think your electrician, might be referring to the final connection between the house fixed wiring (cooker outlet plate) and cooker appliances. Some manufacturers provide specific leads, some electricians will use a suitably sized heat proof etc cable, but in some cases, a twin & earth cable would suffice. Most cooking appliance are fixed into position and are hardly ever moved. For comparison, a commercial oven, would need a suitable flexible cable, as it would be moved regularly for cleaning. Well most good kitchens would be cleaning behind it!

Regards Chris

He could have used 6mm flexible cable or 6mm T&E cable, assuming that 6mm is the correct size. Either is perfectly acceptable as long as it is correctly installed.

I think this electrician needs to brush up on their knowledge of the regulations!

He could have used 6mm flexible cable or 6mm T&E cable, assuming that 6mm is the correct size. Either is perfectly acceptable as long as it is correctly installed.

I think this electrician needs to brush up on their knowledge of the regulations!
and maybe retrain as a plumber. they ain't got a clue about electrics anyway, so he should feel at home.

and maybe retrain as a plumber. they ain't got a clue about electrics anyway, so he should feel at home.
He also said that the 40 mcb for the cooker should be changed to a 32. As I understand it the principal of diversity could be applied so that could be ok but would a 40 mcb with a 6mm cable over a 7 or 8 metre run be dangerous clipped direct not in insulation?
It is just a standard cooker grill, oven and 4 rings.

Reply to Shower 8.5 on a 40mcb is it dangerous in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock